"FIN" Trim Paint On My 67 Electra

oldfoneguy

The paint within the fin trim on my 67 Electra is worn and missing in spots. I would like to freshen it up but am unsure what paint to use and what the finish should be. I think I've added a pic of the trim for reference!

What remains seems to be a semi gloss but after 5 decades of waxing and polishing I don't know if it started life as a flat paint like the grille and the badges or as an actual semi gloss. Also was it a lacquer or enamel paint from the factory? Would anyone know? This IS the place to ask! Thanks in advance for any help, Bill

Attachments

• 20180603_161448 (2).jpg
    20180603_161448 (2).jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 8
I usually just use a convenient spray bomb. Your question could be difficult to answer. I doubt the factories were too concerned about the silver and black trim colors or the codes would be easier to find.

Thanks for the reply Bob. I guess since it looks semi flat now that's what I'll go with.
I've seen a couple of examples of my car that were "restored" and they took all the paint away from the trim rendering a featureless wide chrome bar. I think I can do better than that. Yes rattle cans are our friend and I have had many successful projects over the years that have held up great even through a decade of northeastern winters.
It's really all about the prep. - Bill

There are some pictures online of NOS vertical fin moldings (GM part no 4229405) from eBay. These show a moderate amount of gloss. Found them by Googling "Buick 4229405".

I just looked it up and saw the shine! Now I'm heading in a whole new direction. What are NOS 67 Buick trim parts doing in The Netherlands anyway? Thanks Todd, Bill

Back