fresh nail startup procedure

nailT

Tom & Joe, being you've both built a nail or two, what's a good fresh startup/break-in procedure for a 401ski. Today we threw the new 401 back in the hole, got what little that need be hooked up...hooked up.... and I think tomorow she will live again. Is there anything special the nails like/need for a break-in?. Oil pressure was brought up and she was oiling at the rockers and it will be brought up one more time before she lights off. Other than that...anything out of the norm that I should know or do?

Thanks in advance

PS Joe, did that fella from Wisconson have the oil pump stuff you needed?

It sounds like you are being pretty careful. Being as you have primed the engine, the next concern will be cam break in. This can bring several responses as to how to, but basically it means keeping the cam well oiled for the first 15 to 30 minutes of operation. This means keeping the revs up so that the oil pump is moving lots of oil.

You might like to consider disconnecting the vacuum advance, and static timing the engine with a ohm meter or light bulb (assuming you still have points).

Good luck

Just one last thing I can add that I like to do. While cranking over the oil pump I also crank over the engine at the same time without the spark plugs. My reasoning is that IF there is any kind of debris in or on the bearings it will be washed away WITHOUT compression to hopefully keep anything from being imbedded into the bearing material.

Just one last thing I can add that I like to do. While cranking over the oil pump I also crank over the engine at the same time without the spark plugs. My reasoning is that IF there is any kind of debris in or on the bearings it will be washed away WITHOUT compression to hopefully keep anything from being imbedded into the bearing material.

Crank the engine with the starter motor or by hand?. I've never thought of that but that sounds like a good idea.

Back