Front AL drums on my '67 Riv

S

shifty_jim100

Looking into information regarding the front Drums on my Riv. The brakes have been grinding since the day I bought the car. At first I assumed it was just rust as the car had been sitting, but later found that the front drums are Aluminum (and therefore dont rust at all) I am positive the front drums are trashed. I have a '71 riv donor car, it has complete front braking system (new calipurs/rotors/pads etc) I am wondering if I can do the conversion from that car.
The reason I am looking into this, is because of the expense/ and lack of availability of the front Aluminum drums. Nation Wide Parts stores do not carry them any longer. I can special order them for 100$ each from various online vendors. This to me seems a bit steep, especially when the possibility exists for a swap.

Any information on the subject would be very helpful. Tips on what to look for to be sure if the conversion will be successful. I am a bit new at this (albiet very good at mechanical stuff. Mostly, I lack the terminology and vocabulary) so please be as discriptive as possible.

Thanks all in advance for your help.

Your aluminium drums are cast with a steel inner liner that can be turned, or if they are beyond that replace them with another set. These drums are common to many models over many years, so there should be a lot of em available. That would be the easiest fix for your '67 IMO. I picked up 4 refinished drums at a BCA swap meet for $10 each about 3 years ago.

Back