fuel pump conversion

eddie1948

i have a 48 buick 50 series. fuel pump mounting gasket is same as chevy what other pump can i use i dont care about the vacuam connection can any one help please thanxs.:waving:

I looked in my Hollander interchange book, it only goes up to 48. It says 38 -40, series 40 & 50, and if you change arms 37 - 48 Chevy. I would think that would go up to a 53 Buick series 40 & 50. Hope that helps.

1948 buick fuel pump eddie

hey spud thanx for that but did u mean taking the arm off the pump i have now and putting it on the 1948 chevy fuel pump that would work?:clonk:

hey spud I just bought that fuel pump do u think it would be easy to remove that arm and place it on the other fuel pump and how would u do it thanx guy:shifter:

You should look at the link that Bob put up, thanks Bob that should help. Just bump out the pin, watch the spring and remember how the arm goes before you take it apart. You don't have to take the pump apart, but look at figure 3-18 on the link Bob put up, it will show bumping out the pin no big deal.

fuel pressure

spud and bob thank u so much for that info its very helpful my last question I had was Im running 2 97s, dual intake would that 216 fuel pump be enough for that set up auto zone lists a airtex part #429 and 9803 one is dual action one is single if im not going to use vacuam lines could i use single action i looked it up for a 48 fleetline thanxs:waving:

Last edited:
I would think it would be OK, take it for a run and see. Sure would like to see a picture of the car and the motor. You was editing when I sent mine. I would think the fuel pressure would be ok, and as far as the vacuum pump I think that is ok, I was going to put a vacuum pump on mine then decided to go with a electric wiper.

Last edited:
eddie1948 I been meaning to ask you what is wrong with the pump on your car now. You can get a rebuild kit for it, easy to do, or do you just want to get rid of the vacuum part. If you don't want it,let me know.

eddie pump

hey whats up, thanxs for getting back to me the thing is every time I want to get some thing for that car no parts store has it but they want to send it out to rebuild. It sucks ass! but for a chevy its every where I just got the car nothings wrong with the fuel pump or water pump but want to replace it for self assurence you know what I mean. And just to day u wont believe it I :angry:was at a stop light and my car shut of, it was the distr it locked up and pin broke off rebuild $45 bucks on top of that I found a supplyer with every brake part and water pump fuel pump and every ignition part new cheaper then every one else :bana:let me know if u need some thing sorry I know its to long of a response

Good to hear. That stuff don't go bad that often. You say you just got the car it probably just needs a little maintenance. Still no picture of it, or the twin carbs.

Back