Fuel Pump Issue

M

marshman

Had a Leak where the fuel line from the tank connects to the fuel Pump, Took if off and replaced and now fuel is spewing from the vent hole on the side of the Fuel pump when the engine is started. It worked fine prior to pulling the fuel line from the pump.

Any ideas on what happened?

50 Special Jetback

wavey.gif
Hi, Marshman,

You probably had 2 leaks to begin with. the Leak in the line was first in order from the tank and under pressure was the first show weekness. now since that condition was repaired and is sound the increased pressure caused the next leak to rear it's ugly head.
I don't know what type of pump You have, but if You haven't had it Re-built recently, todays Modern Fuels just eats up the Composition of the Diaphram's original layered tarpaper like material or You have a blockage in the line or the Filter from the Pump to the Carb.
Over time untreated fuel builds up Lacquer deposits on the inside wall of the Fuel Lines and creates a blockage. When it happens in the human bady, it causes a Heart Attack and then By-Pass Surgery, if You make it. with a vehicles fuel system the problem is not quite as serious.
Check it out and get back to us with Your findings. I hope it is an easy fix, and one problem isn't complicated by another.
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif
beers.gif

Tom Gallagher
shield.gif

Thanks Tom,
I'm going to suspect the diaphram as since the engine will run fuel is getting to the carb. The engine is the 248 and probably original fuel pump. I guess a rebuild is in order.

I had the same problem on my girlfriend's 50 Super. Car would run beautifully, but pumped as much fuel out onto the ground as it was getting to the carb. Crazy thing leaked all over my shop floor the first time we fired it up after it's long hibernation. If you choose to rebuild the pump yourself be extremely cautious with the brass filtering rings in the pump. They are unbeleivably thin and easy to damage. I would also replace the vacumn diaphram while you have they pump apart these aslo will deteriorate with time and allow fuel in some cases to get into the vacum system. If you accidentally damage the screens let me know. I've got a spare set out of an old pump I'll give you if you'll cover the cost of postage.

Back