Good battery doesn't crank.

P

PPestorius

Hi - I'll preface everything with one day I ran
the engine pretty hot. I drove it the next day and it was fine, but I got it pretty hot. Once.

After the car sat for 10 - 12 days, it's not starting, not even cranking. I've switched the battery out, I've connected chargers, no cranking.

I am getting an electrical path to the coil and distributor... but haven't heard it crank but once out of maybe 12 tries. When I turn the key to engage the starter, I hear a click and then it's like the battery is totally dead.

Starter - Starter solenoid...?

1969 Skylark.

Thanks alot. :confused:

What is hot? If you see the Temp light come on, that probably isn't hot enough to really damage anything.

Other things to check- are your battery terminals corroded? Is the starter well grounded? Is the + wire worn out?

What is your battery voltage while cranking? You should keep at least 10.5 volts. If the voltage doesn't drop, then maybe you have a solenoid problem.

Hard to diagnose with the small amount of information given.

-Bob Cunningham

The battery is fine when tested. I've replaced the +/- battery cables as well as the starter/solenoid.

Nothing severe happened when the engine got hot, I just mentioned it.

I'm getting power to the new starter... but no crank. I'll replace the fusible links to the starter, as I'm getting lights, but no starter action.

Any other suggestions are appreciated.
P

i got a brand-new starter/solenoid. the battery cables are also new. i'll be re-attaching all the wires tonight and hoping for the best.

Try to turn the motor over at the front crank pulley with a ratchet. If the motor turns over it is fine. If you can't turn it over you probably have problems.

I had the same problem with my freshly rebuilt 340. I replaced the battery,starter, cables until I finally went duh! I was upset and slammed the shifter into park after my car died and would not even make a sound trying to re-start it. It happened several times before this also. By slammingit forward into park I ralized it was my nuetral safety switch that wasn't making contact all the time. I pulled the wiring, checked the connections and made repairs as neccessary now it works fine. Up till then all I knew was to slam my shifter into park to make contact to start up. Try that.

the engine is not siezed.

i'm re-wiring everything.

thanks for the input everyone.

P

The generator was shifty and putting out 16amps
or whatever. Way to high. This lead to the
burned fusible links.

Alls well and she's back on the road.

Plus the new starter makes this wicked jet engine
sound when I start her up, which isn't so bad.

Back