Grinding noise when braking

R

Regal Mike

I have a 95 Regal GS. I bought it used 4 years ago and a little over 1 year ago, the rear brake pads were replaced. When this was done, the brakes started making a grinding and creaking noise. The noise increases after the car gets hot. It sounds like something is going to snap and break off. It's horrible! However, I've been told that it's safe to drive. Since then, I had the pads replaced THREE times and still, the noise remains! I had the rotors shaved and when that did not work, I replaced the rotors. Still, the noise will not go away! I have taken it to several mechanics and no one can figure out the problem. The pads are after market. Would this make any difference? Should the pads be GM pads? Any suggestions? Thanks!

I would have to hear the noise to be sure, but by the sounds of it, you have a metal on metal grinding noise. Since it's only when braking, and worse when hot, I would suggest taking a look at your wheel bearings. I had a similar problem on my ford, except the noise was only on left turns - probably the worst noise I've ever heard a car make. Either way, I think it's wheel bearings because when you're braking, the weight of the car shifts to the front end, placing more load on your bearings.
If those check out allright, you may also want to check out the front end, ie control arms and ball joints.
Like I said, without hearing the noise it's hard to diagnose. If you take it to a dealership, they may have a TSB or SSM on this symptom or be able to hook up chassis ears to your car and find out where the noise is coming from.

Good luck!!

Ben

Mike,
Are you taking the car to a "real" shop, or one of the chain places ? A well equiped shop with properly trained techs should be able to find the problem. There is nothing wrong with aftermarket pads as long as they are not the $2 variety. Try this site to find a good shop in your area:
www.iatn.net
Hope this helps,

I am not a GM technician but I have run into similar situations before. A grinding noise while braking after a brake job has been performed. I don't know if your car comes with a brake pad hardware kit, but often I have run into this situation where a shop bends a piece of the kit so it rubs the rotors when braking. Also like I said, I'm not a GM tech, but maybe it's possible that the shape of the aftermarket pad is causing the hardware kit to shift when braking. These are just suggestions since I have absolutely no idea how your rear brakes are set up. Good luck.

Back