Heater core?

B

Batmobilly

I have to put a new heater core in a '71 buick skylark with a 350. Will i have to dissassemble the dash?

I don't know about your 71, but here's the procedure to my 69 Skylark: (From 1969 buick chassis service manual)

Removal and intallation of heater assembly or heater core:

Remove right from Fender Skirt.
Drain radiator and disconect cables from lever of defroster door and outside air inlet door on heater assembly. Disconnect tempeture control cable from lever of tempeture door on heater assembly. Remove attaching nuts from heater assembly studs. Disconnect heater inlet and outlet hoes from heater core inlet and outlet ports. Remove connector from blower motor resister. Remove screws securing lower portion of defroster outlet assembly to top of heater assembly. Work heater assmembly rearward untill studs clear dash, and remove heater assembly.

Installation: Install with reverse procedures.

If you don't want to pull the fender, you can drill out the stud from the inside. When you look at the plastic cover over the heater,under the dash, you will see a small round emboss on the bottom right hand corner. CAREFULLY drill through the center with a 5/16 drill, and this will remove the stud that requires the fender removal. This is the easiest way, and the remaining studs will hold the heater just fine. I did this on my Buick three years ago, and it sure simplifies things.

Back