Hello

tjbian

I came across this Forum when I was looking for info on my car. I have been fooling with this Buick for almost 47 years and you would think it should be done by now. I have been fooling with cars since my teens but never was interested in restoration until I found this car by accident. That morning I saw an ad for a 1949 Mercury Coupe with chopped top for $25.00. It was sold and I ended up with this Buick instead. At the time it would have been easier to find parts for the Merc. I almost street rodded the car but fortunately was talked out of it by a gentleman who later became AACA President. Through the years the restoration has gone in fits and starts, hampered by the fact I must store the car away from home in the winter. Unfortunately it has not turned out a a show car but a presentable reliable driver which I take to any cruise I can. Within the last year I took it to the 75th Anniversary Car Show for the Pennsylvania Turnpike and got a trophy for Best 1940 Car, 1940 being the year the Turnpike opened. The show was at the Sideling Hill Service Plaza which is about 150 miles from my home. A few weeks later I drove the car in the production of American Pastoral, filmed in Pittsburgh. I is directed by and starts Ewan McGregor. As hard as I tried, I could not talk them into giving me the 1948 New Jersey plates they put on the car. I am looking forward to learning a lot from this group. Tom

Attachments

• 2015_0809TP750090.jpg
    2015_0809TP750090.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 2015_0809TP750167a.JPG
    2015_0809TP750167a.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 11
  • 2015_0809TP750107.jpg
    2015_0809TP750107.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3721.jpeg
    IMG_3721.jpeg
    41 KB · Views: 15
Learned in 47 years...

Yes, I have learned a lot living with a car for 47 years, mainly what NOT to do. The hardest of all to learn was patience. I can't count how many times work done in a hurry was a disappointment. Tom

Are you in PA? If so, hopefully you are planning on attending (and bringing your Buick to) the BCA 50 year anniversary show in Allentown, July 27-30?

Hope to see it there!

Are you in PA?

Yes, I am in Western Pennsylvania at the junction of the PA Turnpike (Exit 28) and Interstate 79, just North of Pittsburgh. My car is currently down for maintenance, I am waiting for the cracked exhaust manifold and exhaust valve (heat riser ) housing to be welded so I won't be making that trip. I used to be active in the Steel Capitol Chapter of BCA in the 70's and even President one year, but in 1981 I made the mistake of buying and operating my own pharmacy and ended up working 7 days per week so I lapsed all my memberships and haven't rejoined BCA or any local clubs. One of these days...

Back