Help tuning a 2-bbl?

bobc455

Team Member
I have a 350-2 in my new Sportwagon. The only thing I can figure out how to tune is the idle mixture. Are there other ways to tune this carb?

No one seems to know anything about it! (Including me!)

Thanks,

-Bob Cunningham

Bob,
Other than the float adjustment, I dont think there is anything else to "tune" on a Rochester 2bbl.

That explains the blank stares I've been receiving! I'm kinda surprised there aren't some metering rods or something else to tune.

Car is actually running pretty good now, I am just trying to increase the gas mileage a bit, and wanted to know if there was anything I was missing.

Thanks!

-Bob Cunningham

I have a 4bbl in my Sport Wagon, and it also gets poor (13-15) MPG. I was thinking of installing a 200-4R, as part of the problem is the rear axle ratio. if that doesn't help, I will put a 455 in it. If it won't get mileage , at least it will be fun

I hear that! I have a spare 455 sitting around, but since I already have one 455 car I think I'll keep the 350 in there for gas mileage.

When I got the car, the first few tanks were under 12 MPG. I have played with the timing a lot (springs, vac advance, etc.), and on the last tank I got over 15 MPG.

I also have a 200R4 up my sleeve, and hopefully that will be gong in in the next few months. I expect the lockup convertor to help a lot, and the overdrive to help a little. I already have a 2.73 or 2.78 rearend (couldn't count exactly), and I think the OD will help a little, but not very much.

-Bob Cunningham

Back