My 73 LeSabre is stalling

Ronjeremy

My 73, 350 2bbl, stalls like it's out of gas after I drive it around town for between 5 and 10 miles. Starts right up again, but gets progressively worse. It stalls like either its out of gas, or is flooded. I say flooded because I can smell the un burnt gas. When it does this is starts up again, maybe after a few cranks. Last mechanic said he scoped the fuel pump and it was ok. He's a very good mechanic with these old cars, tunes it to very best performance, but this problem, I believe, evades even his knowledge. Anybody have ideas? Thanks

Try driving it with a loose fuel tank cap and see if that makes a difference.

With any carbureted vehicle if it sits for long periods, water or moisture collects in the bowls causing corrosion in the aluminum accelerator pump check ball and passage. Also, the stagnant fuel thickens, collects a sticky goo that gets the floats sticking to the bottom in which causes flooding. The floats usually float to the top to cut fuel inside the carb. There is fuel stabilizer for the tank, but just driving it at least once a month prevents this. Anyways, I'd take the carb top off, inspect, clean as necessary and as necessary replace accelerator pump check ball and make sure passage is clear. This hole with ball produces fuel feed to the accelerator pump, opens to let in, but closes when accelerator pump is used. The check ball just falls into the hole to seal it by buoyancy, if it is out of round won't seal that well when the pump moves down to produce the squirt of fuel on acceleration.

Can feel like lack of fuel. Test by using eye protection safety glasses and have wet rag handy just in case for eyebrows in case of backfire, if car is running. Alternatively put a video device as your eyes for further safety and review video at end of test. Look in carb while accelerating and see for a good stream/squirt. You can do short ones or long ones.

Last edited:
Back