Newbie with a 430

Jyrki

Team Member
Hi guys, I just bought a '67 Riviera, and all I know about Buick engines is the straight-8. The 430 engine runs bad, and sounds like it's got a flat lobe. The car was just unloaded from a sea container (USA->Finland), and I could barely drive it home. In case the engine needs an overhaul, where should I look for parts (stock or performance)? What would you suggest to replace the stock points distributor? I've heard the oiling system is the Achilles' heel of this engine, but what is about, and what can be done to improve it?

Could be this

Had a similar problem with a 64 Skylark in 1990. Drove it to the shipping port in Philadelphia and when the car got to Australia, failed to start. Cost me a new starter motor and hours of diagnosis.

problem was a failed timing gear as the nylon outer coating had perished as well as a broken rocker arm.

Whether the guy loading the container decided to run it cold to 5 zillion RPM when shifting it, I will never, never know. We had just completed over 5,500 miles in it before we shipped it back so should have been a turn key and go.

hope this helps in some way.
kind regards
Rodney

congratulations on your Riviera. But sad to hear of the issues.
Do a compression test and check all of your rockers first. That is easy and doesn't cost much.
If you do a rebuild, there are many options for parts and components. For performance, you can use TA Performance parts.

The oil passage modifications require drilling out the passages to allow for more flow. Volume is more important than pressure for Buicks.

For Distibutor, I use a factory Buick 455 electronic distributor in one car, and an MSD Billet in the other. Both work well.

If you need a great Quadrajet, that's where I can help the most!

Thanks for the tips! I just ckecked the plugs and they are all white (running lean). The rockers look fine, but when I pulled the shafts off, there's grey oil gushing from the two centermost pedestals, both banks the same. Apparently the color comes from "metallica" in the oil. I'm not sure where the oil holes are going. I'm going to check blowby tomorrow

There are the Performance Distributors offered through the link on the page. I did a Crane modification to my original which I documented here: http://www.teambuick.com/forums/view.php?pg=distributor_buildup

Although, I am currently building a 455 which I am probably going back to points on. It will be a dual point setup probably again on bearings.

Otherwise, I am disjointed to say the only other thing currently available is the cam button here:
http://www.teambuick.com/forums/content.php?338-Cam-Button

I have purchase several kit from Falcon Global: Buick 455 Engine Kits

Back