Prototype parts for your straight 8

I question this

After looking at the videos again, I think the idea is doable, but I question the scanner's ability to scan seperate parts at the same time and build them all at once. If the Crescent wrench was seperated into three parts and reassembled, then yes it could work. Just my thoughts.
Doug:confused:

Edelbrock uses that process(stereo lithography) to create prototypes for new cylinder head and intake manifold designs. Im sure many other companies do as well.

Back in the 90's, at Datex-Ohmeda when we were developing an anesthesia machine, we did a lot of prototyping using this method, but it was VERY expensive back then. Still it saved a lot of money as we were able to mock up the parts before investing in the even more expensive injection mold tooling. Now the prices have come down and accessible to hobbyists, which is great!

Unless I m wrong . I ve seen one of those printers using metal, not plastic . Same way , they just cook after printing .
I suppose it s low melting point metal with epoxy ...
But when it will come as strong as aluminium , this will enable anything .
Just imagine printing ceramic , cook it , and we solve the pb of the poor design of Straight heads :p
Ceramic cylinders and pistons already exist for VW Beetles ...

My first 16/9 TV 70 cm cost me 3500 $ . My last one , 80 cm and flat screen HDTV , cost 400 $ . The future is coming !!!! :p

Maybe I should stop practicing sand casting and learn Autocad , Catia , Qcad or ( insert here your favorite 3D software ) .

Last edited:
I'll quote a Canadian friend from another forum who is always saying "You can't improve on vintage engine designs if you keep using the same technology that created it".

I m not sure technology has change so much .
Even Ferrari engine are still hand casting .
I m a bike guy , not cars . Since 1930 or 40 , quite nothing is new , but electronic and injection .
They only had pb having resistant alloys .

I first saw mention of it on Edelbrock's website about 5 years ago, but didn't really have any idea on the concept of how it worked until more recently myself. I guess we've arrived in the 21st century!

The technology we used in the 90's was stereo lithography. I wasn't aware of Direct Metal Laser Sintering - thanks for the link, Doug! I think the cost still remains beyond reach for us old Buick freaks, though...

Back