question for 55spcl.

iddie makel

Good morning,
When you provided me with the info.re:installing "1392653 as a replacement for crown ..........it will be necessary to use (1) 0.799/1319083 bearing."If I decided to look for a 322,and was lucky enough to find one with tranny and clutch,where would this bearing be installed?I thank you in advance for your anticipated response.
iddie

iddie, I was just quoting the note in the parts book. The bearing that was refered to is the throw-out bearing, which is different, depending upon the style of pressure plate being used.
-Bob

iddie, do you have a parts book & repair manual for your car? If not, I suggest you get one before going much further and read the engine rebuilding section to make sure you know what you're getting into and that you understand the different operations. The books come up often on Ebay and are worth every penny in information.
-Bob

Hello 55SPCL,
Thanks for offering to mentor me.I definitely need all the help I can muster up.I do have the 1955 Buick shop manual,and the 1955 chilton's Automobile repair manual.I have been reading everything I can get my hands on.I believe my biggest problem is going to be installing bearings,and pistons,and anything else that requires close tolerances.I took my time taking everything apart,and I took plenty of pictures.I put all parts in marked plastic bags.I don't know if my crankshaft and camshaft will need work or replacement because again those require close attention and I have not located a machine shop yet.Time is not a problem since I'm retired.I had not planned on this rebuild,but when I found the broken piston,I decided I might as well go all the way.I am not wealthy,but will be able to rob my piggy bank as long as I promise to put some of it back.I want to do this rebuild,but at the same time if there was someone local who could be trusted I would probably let them do it since they would have the know how,and equipment.I do realize what I'm getting myself into,and it is a little intimidating.with the help of you guys,I'm just going to take "one day at a time",and watch the show.I'll probably get on you guys nerves before this is over.I've been thinking about going up to summer carlisle this weekend.If I do,maybe I'll get some leads to someone here in the Carolina's.Thanks for the help,and concern.

Iddie
clonk.gif

Back