Rear and trans swap

I have a line on a 55 pontiac rear and trans with drive shaft. Will this be easy to swap into a 1956 Buick model 40 with a nailhead. My 3speed trans needs to be rebuilt and I'm having a hard time finding parts or another trans. The trans from the pontiac is also a 3 speed trans. Any info is greatly appreciated.

The 55 Pontiac 3 speed is a GM "5 bolt" (number of bolts on the cover plate) gearbox and your 56 Special should have a "6 bolt". You can use the Pontiac gearbox if you re-drill your bellhousing for the 5 bolt pattern. I did this when I converted a 52 Buick 70 to manual shift (using a 52 series 50 gearbox) and it worked fine. Keep in mind that the 5 bolt box isn't as strong as the 6 bolt and you may have to modify your shift linkage slightly.

Three other possibilities: Look for a 54 or 55 Buick 40 bellhousing. These cars came stock with a 5 bolt gearbox and the bellhousing will fit your 56 engine. Alternatively, if you can find a 56 or 57 Pontiac gearbox, that is a 6 bolt and it will fit your present bellhousing. Lastly, 51-64 full-size Oldsmobiles (except 64 Jetstar 88) used the 6 bolt gearbox, but these will require a bit more work. The Olds input shaft has a 1-1/4" spline instead of 1-1/8" like Buick and Pontiac. You can replace your present clutch disc with a 1-1/4" spline disc, but I think the release bearing support is also slightly larger diameter on the Olds, which means you might have to cobble a release bearing setup.

All of the above assumes that you want to replace your torque tube with an open drive. If that's not your intended goal, just keep on looking for another Buick gearbox instead. It will be a lot less work to get your car back on the road if you keep the torque tube.

Ray

Ok, so you don't need any gears. That's good. Gaskets and bearings are still available new. The synchro assembly (GM calls this a clutch) hasn't been made for at least 30 years. Your only hope for that is to find a NOS or a good used one. It is unusual for the selector shaft to go bad, so a used one from just about anywhere will probably be ok.

IIRC, there were two different designs of the synchro assembly. One had the same size cones on both ends. The other was larger on (I think) the 2nd gear end. You can tell which one you have just by looking at it.

Ray

Last edited:
Back