Rocker arm disassembly

firstofeight

Experienced Member
I am working on a 263. In trying to dis assemble the rocker arm assembly , seems the stands are very tight. Arms are free. Are the stands just pressed onto the shaft?. Should they slide right off? I do not want to break one.

Thanks
Ben

What I do with the NailHead rocker stands is to use the rocker arm as a slap hammer. Set the assembly on the bench. Pull down a rocker against the spring & release. This should help remove the stand without breaking it. To re-assemble heat the stands up with a heat gun. This will expand them & they will slide right on. DON'T forget to use gloves they WILL be HOT!!!.

Thank you, Tom. I shall give that a try. I see you have roller rockers for the Nail. How about for the 263? I am modifying this one a bit. I am sure it will not do what your 320s did on the track in bygone years, but should be fun on the street in my waning years. Hopefully.

Ben

yup. I just stand the shaft on end and pop the shaft down on a bench. might need a little tap with a mallet with heat. I did crack one of mine but I dont remember how I did that. I think there was a groove worn on the shaft and I forced it through the stand?

rocker arm assembly

Thank, Long. I have tried that. They are TIGHT. Will keep at it.

Ben

Last edited:
As long as the rocker slides freely on the shaft using the rocker as a slap hammer works fine. No need to bang the shaft on a bench. You need to pull the rocker down against the spring & let it "Snap" against the stand. I've done MANY like this with NO problems. Haven't broken a stand in years.

Tom T.

Back