Ross pistons

saltracer

Just got off the phone with Ross Pisttons,trying to order new pistons. They told we that they were not sure they could make them..........I have heard some of you guys, have had them made. Can you supply me with a job order number in order to jogg their menory.

Real shit part is that Diamond Pistons told me eight weeks ago...."....no problem " they called today and said "by the way we can not make those pistons" .........three weeks before Bonneville

Dale, we use Venolia, I don't know if they can help within the time frame you have. Don Wheeler out of Colaorado, run a lakester, he uses Ross Pistons. I know because he sent me one back when we first built the straight eight. Call me around 10 oclock this AM and I will give you his phone number.

straight 8

SaltRacer,
We got ours from CP Pistons, Took a little time because we sent a sample of whar we wanted, and then had to converse with them several times, but what we got was really nice. As you found out, when those companys find out that they can make 50 sets of Chevy smallblock pistons/rods, they walk away. They never call, they wait 'til their patient customer calls them and then lay it on them. We waited two months for a rod company, then three more months for another, then finally Groden Rods made a set. Wish I could be of help, but Gary probably has a better source than we do here in Montana. See you on the Salt. Doug

had ross make my pistons to metric bore to use 3 ring pack sent mold of head comp chamber got 9-1 without milling the head
Have the job card #118030---ask for Ian Akiyama he handled it all for me
Pat

had ross make my pistons to metric bore to use 3 ring pack sent mold of head comp chamber got 9-1 without milling the head
Have the job card #118030---ask for Ian Akiyama he handled it all for me
Pat

320 or 263? What metric oversize and what rings?

Yeah.....pistons. I've been beatin on Egge for about 6 months now, trying to get them to make me a set of pistons. In the beginning, it was " sure no problem", now there seems to be a lot of stalling around. If it ain't a chevy and 50 sets arn't involved.....welllll....So, I put it to them last week, "just how many pistons does it take to get you guys to step up to the plate?" Odd, these places advertise that they make stuff, but when somebody wants them to make something, they don't want to make it! Huh? alleycat

Thanks

Just wanted to tell all of you that tried to help, thanks. Seems that Ross can only make me a 9:1 piston. The 12.5:1 requestmay been what got Diamond also? Anyway going back with my old 9.5:1's that I welded up and if nothing elsr I will weld up the tops when I get back from Bonneville and make my own compression................Again to all,thanks

Dale, check with Mike Collison, he may still have the old Venolia pistons, high dome, one has a hole in the top. I supposed you could weld it up like you did on yours. These are for a special pin location and pin size. May not work for you, just suggesting. The bore is 3.625".

320 pistons

Yeah.....pistons. I've been beatin on Egge for about 6 months now, trying to get them to make me a set of pistons. In the beginning, it was " sure no problem", now there seems to be a lot of stalling around. If it ain't a chevy and 50 sets arn't involved.....welllll....So, I put it to them last week, "just how many pistons does it take to get you guys to step up to the plate?" Odd, these places advertise that they make stuff, but when somebody wants them to make something, they don't want to make it! Huh? alleycat

Theres one piston that I,m pretty sure will work. I talked to Don Montgomery about what pistons he used in his old I-8 lakes racer. He used the GMC, 228 pistons. I think 060 over or whatever oversize that gave the engine 356 cubes. I have 5, pistons[somewhere in my garage] and the compression height is the same as Buick 320. They have a large dome so they maybe good for running high compression on alcohol fuel, also I think they have 2 diff compression heights. The only thing that has to be done is to put in a bushing to match the smaller Buick wrist pin. Oh but they weigh a ton, but ol Don went 137 at the lakes in his sedan in the 50,s!

Last edited:
320 pistons

yea alleycat I took the GMC 228 pistons and put them side to side with the 320 cu in. piston and they eyeballed fine. I roughly measure em and they match up, cept for the jimmy has bigger wrist pins. Now the dome is big and they are old silvolite pistons and are real heavy, and I recall I looked them up in an old Egge parts manual and they carried them. they may still have some, or could make em with the Buick sized wrist pin holes. They are bigger bore, plus oversize can get ya up to 356 inches in the 320.

Arias Pistons

Hey folks ,
just wanted to share with you that Arias pistons built me a nice set of 10.75 's for my new LSR 320 motor .
They did them in less than a month . We had to send a "quicky" {bondo} mold of the combustion chamber, but they still made them in good time and were very professional to work with .

Jeff Brock

Jeff, thanks for your input. Did they use that bondo mold to create a matching dome on the piston? (to achieve a proper quench effect, that is)

Jyrki ,
It is my understanding , that Arias Tech engineers wanted to do more than match the stock dome . They wanted to see what space was available to obtain safe "squish" .
This is not my area of expertise , mind you . I'm the car builder / fab guy. but this motor runs REAL strong .
Watch for it . Car # 1503 , 1952 Buick XO/GCC
The Hart / Collison race team helped me with the motor build , parts and advice.
In about 4 days ... it will have it's "run in the sun "
debut.
I have another good 320 block , cam and crank that I'll build a "better" motor , from knowledge gained with this build , but I will surely work with Arias for the "step up".

Back to work .

Jeff Brock

Jeff, be sure and look us up, will be on the front row of the pits, maybe close to the impound/tech area. I have a black Ford F-250 with a camper on it.

Arias pistons

Hey folks ,

Bonneville went pretty good { for my first time on the salt} .
The car ran relatively strong .
Not "Dyno Science" but I sure am happy with the Arias pistons . If you contact them , the build account name was : Doug Anderson , Automotive Machine Services , Albuqueque , NewMexico . Doug is a former Drag Racer and awsome machinist .

I can't say thanks enough to all those fellow racers that helped me out , especialy the Hart / Collison team .

GH , ... I was just starting to like you ... until you started calling me those bad names !!!
I can't catch your Stude ... but I'm hot on your Buicks tail ...
Jeff Brock

Jeff, calling you a "cherry picker" is not bad. You Buick straight 8 guys are all alike, going after all those open records. Glad you had fun.

straight 8

GH,
Hope to see you in September. Jeff, Way to go. It was nice meeting you in tech, and I'm glad that the tech guys didn't find stuff to make your life tough. Hope to see you, too in Sept.
Doug:hurray:

Doug and Jeff, I will not be back at the salt this year. See you all next August. Keep in touch. Jeff, you will never catch the #1950 car with that old goofy intake that you are running.

Last edited:
Straight 8 Pistons

I called Atomic Speedware and asked if they could make me some Straight 8 pistons and was told that it would not be a problem. You might call and ask them. The Buick/Olds 403 is the same piston bore as the Buick 320. Moving the wrist pin bore should not be a problem, neither should the piston dome/top configuration for what ever compression ratio you desire. Also you get to use 403 pistons rings which are readily available. :D

Back