ST300 to 4-sp. manual swap?????

M

Michael_in_WA

I have a 66 Skylark with a 300 V8 and a ST300 trans. Other than another 66 skylark, what 4-speed equipped cars would provide all or most of the necessary conversion parts? Thanks in advance.

Michael S.
64 Electra
66 Skylark
80 Riviera
84 Riviera
And many other makes

Any 64-67 Buick A-body with a 300-340 engine and 4-speed set-up would work for you. The clutch pedals and linkage would work fine for you, and they would even have the correct solid driveshaft. The bell crank for the pedals on the 67 is a little different, but it should work. The 68+ Buick A-bodies with the 350 would have the correct bellhousing, clutch and trans, but the linkage would need to be adapted, the driveshaft length changed and the pedal system is different. Olds and Pontiac had the starter on the left so the bell housing is not clearanced for the starter on the right. Although they have the same bolt pattern they will not interchange with the Buick (unless the rare universal bellhousing was used). Chevy has a different bolt pattern all together.

------------------
Steve B.
GSCA #2173 (1986)
67 GS 525 Stg IV
66 GS Convertible
65 GS HT
63 Riv

Thanks for the information. Would the pedals out of a Pontiac or Olds A body of similar year be the same?

Michael S.

Michael,

The following information is not fact, but I believe it to be true until I know otherwise. No one I talked to found pedals in their interchange manuals. I emailed several reputable Buick sources and compared pictures of pedals on Ebay from various GM makes and years while looking for pedals for my 66 GS last year. All of that information indicated the following: 1. The pedals are the same on all A-bodies from 64-66; 2. 67 was a stand-alone year for all of the A-bodies; 3. in 68 when the new A-body frame came out the pedals were again the same for all A-bodies but different from the 67 and earlier pedals. I wound up with a set from a 66 Chevelle, but have not put them in yet. They look like they will fit after initial inspection. I will know for sure in the next month or so.

Steve

Any idea about header clearance problems for this swap with a '64 Skylark?

Would the crossmember from the auto work or need to be fabricated?

How about a muncie 4spd in place of the T10, would this work? (assuming a custom driveshaft)

Back