Tranny in a '64 Wildcat?

D

Drache

I've got a '64 Wildcat auto, console shift, but I was wondering if it was a 2 speed, 3, 4, what? I know the original tranny isn't in it... just wondering.

Only two automatic transmissions fit the 64-66 401 and 425. They were the ST 300 and ST 400 made with a Nailhead bolt pattern. The Nailheads had a unique bell-housing bolt pattern that only fits a trans made with that bolt pattern. ST 300s and ST 400s that fit the universal BOP (Buick, Olds, Pontiac) bolt pattern would not fit the Nailhead. Changes were made to the 401/425 crank flange in 64 that prevented the easy use of the earlier Nailhead Dynaflow trans.

The Nailhead ST 400 was the automatic transmission that came in the 64-66 Wildcat. It has three forward gears. Only two gears are indicated on the shifter in 64, but that is another story. In 64, the ST 400 did not have a variable pitch converter, but in 65 and 66 the Nailhead ST 400 did have a variable pitch converter. The ST 400 has a plate attached on the right side identifying it as a Super Turbine 400. The plate will have the year of manufacture and a two-letter model code. That tells us the make and model designation of the transmission. Your transmission is most likely to be one of these 64-66 ST 400s from a Riviera, Wildcat or Electra.

The Nailhead ST 300 was the other automatic transmission that would fit the 64-66 Nailhead engine, but it was a different length and would require mounting and drive shaft modifications to fit the Wildcat. It was the transmission that came in the Gran Sport, and I would be very surprised if one of the ST 300s was in your car. It only has two forward gears. The letters stamped on the servo cover on the right side identifies this transmission. Again, a two-letter code designates the make and model, and the year of manufacture is stamped on it as well.

It sounds like some crawling under the passenger side of your car may be in order. Have fun and let us know what you find!

------------------
Steve B.
GSCA #2173 (1986)
67 GS 525 Stg IV
66 GS Convertible
65 GS HT
63 Riv

Back