trans identification

A friend has a 400 turbohydrmatic with a tag that has a BS on it . It is a short shaft 400 from a Buick, but he would like to know which one.
Hopefully someone can help!

Joe,

The ST 400 trans has an identification tag on the right side with the serial # on the bottom of the tag preceded by the trans model and year. The reference material I have covers the 65-72 Buick 400 trans. In 65, the BS was listed for the 425 with two carbs. In 66, the BS was listed for the 425 wildcat and the Riviera GS. The BS code did not appear again through 72. I hope that helps.

------------------
Steve B.
GSCA #2173 (1986)
67 GS 525 Stg IV
66 GS Convertible
65 GS HT
63 Riv

The BS code THM400 shows up in the 72 and 73 Buick shop manuals. The application is listed for ''standard'' GS455 models. The GS455 Stage I cars used another transmission code. It shows up again in the 74 manual, but there is no application data except for 455 engines.

Sure enough, there is a ST400 BS code listed in the 66 manual as Steve notes. Could not find any transmission codes in the 65 manual.

Todd,

The 65 information here comes from a book of Buick dealer bulletins for 65-73 by Steven Dove. The bulletin lists all engine and trany codes from 65. It designates the engine use for the trans codes, but not the cars in which they were used.

I am showing BA as the trans for the GS 455 in 71 and 72, and BB and OW as the GS Stage One trans in those years. That is from the "Guide to the Buick GS" also written by Steven Dove. If you have BS in the shop manual for 72, I guess we found another mistake in the Dove book. You know it is not the first from our struggles with engine codes. My guess is they copied the 71 codes for 72, but they were not the same. I suggest we present Bob with the idea of a trans code list for year and engine and possibly car as our next project. It would be a lot easier then looking them up all the time!

Steve

Thank you for the update. I can now tell my friend that anything you need to know is available through the internet. I have a lot of Buick literature ,but I didn't know where to look.
Thanks again!!

I wonder if there is a transmission rebuilders manual that I could watch for that would give this information? If anyone knows please tell me what to watch for, maybe at ebay?

Back