WANTED: '38 Special Garbox

Jenz38

WANTED: '38 Special Gearbox

(I can't open the classified Thread,thats wy i do it here)

I'm look out for a original complete Box,in any condition,its for spare if somthing in the Future will broken and i need it then directly.
Feel free to make a Offer and contact me ,if you have one or you know Anybody.

Thanks ahead

(I have a Friend in San Diego,he can send it to me in Europe. )

Last edited:
Jenz,
If the 37-38 Special 3 speed (5 bolt top cover) gearbox is designed anything similiar to the 37-38 Century, Roadmaster, and Limited (6 bolt top cover); you can install 41-56 Special gears and bearings in it. This is a common upgrade to the 37-38 big Buick gearbox, installing 41-48 Roadmaster gears and bearings in them. However, the driveshaft and U-joint splines on the 37-38 gearbox are different than the later trannys.

Perhaps someone else can chime in and clarify this subject.

Thanks John,for your Suggestion.
But here I find nothing of Gear Parts, for older or younger Staight Eight Buicks,especially only for Experiments.
Thats why i search at first, for a complete Original Box.
Then i can start unhurriedly, with improvements.
Maybe then i have enough Information for what I need too, from other Models,Brands,whatever.. whats make it stronger.

I have a Friend he works in a Gearbox manufacturing Shop(my Luck),I wanna show him my Original Box for what can I (he) do.
For Examble, welded reinforcement-Ripps on the Outside from the Housing,like the 263 Engineblock outside the Cylinder ?
I think the Housing is important,too.
I have seen Photos where are the Gearbox Housing have horrible horizontal Cracks between the
Shafts nearly through the completetly Housing.

Next Year ,when my 263 is much stronger ,then is the Gear the weakest Link in my Car.

Have Anybody from You Guys ,Lists or somthing similar (older Topics,Links ..) for how to make this Gearbox stronger,Improvements ?
That would be Nice.

Thanks ahead Guys

Last edited:
Well, I wouldn't try to mke the 38 Special's gearbox case stronger. The suggestion above would give you stronger gears and bearings. 41-56 small Buick 3 speeds are much easier to find in the US than the big models, simply because they're in less demand.

If you want a stronger box, install a Century, Roadmater, or Limited gearbox behnd your 263. If you can find a 37-38 model - install the 41-48 Roadmaster gears and bearings in it. That way your car is still all Buick driveline. The 37-38 (or 41-48) big Buick gearboxes (with 6 bolt top cover) can be fitted to the 263 bellhousing much like Jyrki fitted a 4 speed to his Buick's bellhousing. If you can't find a 37-38 big Buick gearbox, you could still use a 41-48 Roadmaster unit and an associated column shifter.

I just emailed you a pdf file with a 1956 Hot Rod article about the above...

John

Last edited:
Thanks a lot JR,
It sounds like many technical changes with a big Wallet. Its easyer when all the Parts we are talk about would be in my near,then I can take a Look on it for gauging and rating. My only Option now is i let send it to me blind,thats too hard for me.
What is the easiest Way for me ? i must think about it.... at first another small Box.

more next..

Back