Welding pinch slot on 320 rods

saltracer

Even though I have never had an issue with the "pinch type" rod end on the rods..........I am thinking of welding this slit closed and installing a floating pin.

I am going up to 13:1 with new pistons and this seems like it would be a week point.

Thinking I need to remove the bolt, weld up the rod, and make new pins (without the notch for the bolt)

Looking for anyones thoughts or experience on this, and what do I need to do to the rod after welding on it.

Thanks...........you guys are great !

ps...Happy new year, I have been out of country and am just catching up

why would you want to do that? stock rods will last forever even with 400 plus horsepower. welding the slot will absolutely lead to rod failure.
with 13 to 1 compression you will break a lot of main caps and eventually the crank but the rods will still be good enough to use in your next engine.

Last edited:
320 rod

Agree with oldyalla, any welding of rod will more than likely promote failure.

what are the rod dimensions ?

Length, journal size and pin size.

If you want to go to 13:1 you will probably need to make a girdle for the mains.

I think Duke (G. Hamann) said the notched wristpin is a weak link, and they always converted to floating pins by filling the gap with a piece of steel, and welding the seam, then relieving the rods in an oven. They revved the dragster up to 7000 rpm :thumbsup:

Then I think it was 36 Century who described they are basically doing the same, but without welding. Just fabricate a piece of steel with a snug fit, torgue the pinch bolt to spec, and ream the bore to accept a bushing.

I don't want to put the words in anyone's mouth, but I think these two gentlemen have been offline for a long time now. :sad:

these guys have tons of experience with Buick straight 8,s, both racing and stock.

Last edited:
Back