what to do with my 65 skylark 300/4bbl?

B

blackie300

The motor needs to be rebuilt, but I'd like to build it up while I'm at it, and not much is available. What engine can I use? a 350?
What headaches will that create for me?
Is there a different motor that will "bolt right in"? need help...

thanks!

------------------
'65 skylark 300 conv.

You have a sweet little engine there, it just needs a little help to be darn near perfect. We just rebuilt my 64 Skylark 300 V8, and it was a headache mainly because the first guy didn't have a clue what he was doing. Luckily, we never put it in; if we had it would have self-destructed. If you live anywhere near the SF Bay Area, there is a machine shop extraordinaire down here who is now far more familiar with the 300 than he ever wanted to be! Main problems with this engine are high heat and low oil pressure. We added 2 more cores to the radiator, an electric fan, and my husband did a couple things to up the oil pressure. Let's face it, nearly 0 oil pressure at idle is scary!! You have plenty of horsepower, fairly decent gas mileage, and all around fun with that engine.
Your main challenge will be finding a REAL automotive machinist. If you e-mail me your location, I can check with our guy for any referrals in your area.
Best of luck!!

Back