Wrenching "Secrets"

:waving: Hey Guys

Anyone have any good Wrenching "Secrets" or that "Special Tool" that they find "Indispensable" and would like to share with the rest of us?:thumbsup:

Vise Grips, left-handed screwdrivers and metric adjustable wrenches or pliers DON'T Qualify! :D

Regards,:beers:

Tom Gallagher

Last edited:
In the spirit of the topic, I have found a very useful tool to be a blast cabinet. It makes it so easy to clean up parts as large as a wheel (depending on size purchased). I use glass beads or walnut shell in mine depending on the job.

Click here: Eastwood.com and look for abrasive blast cabinets

Last edited:
My Best New Tool...........

Hmmmmmmm.......good question. My best new tool is a digatal camera. As I was taking apart my 65 Rivi my Lady friend took many pixs of parts and the way the factory had turned brackets, wire hookup, routeing of wire looms, close ups of the firewall . She then printed out all of this on the printer, and now that reassembly has begun, this info has been extremly valuable. I have now bought me one and have begun learning all this also.

Yes, bandit61, I agree! The digital camera is one of the best things to happen. I have actually gone to the point of putting an old computer on a wireless network into my shop. I now have a document for maintenance records on everything I should have had on paper for years. I can also check the internet for information on whatever I am working on.

The nice part about the pictures on the computer is you can blow them up for more detail (depending on no. of pixels). One thing I need to do is find better methods of catalogueing them so they are easier to find.

Digital cameras are also good for taking pictures in tight spaces you can't fit your head into, or around corners. It's like having eyes in your hands.

I have a set of TA headers. A lot of people whine about removing the center bolt. However it is very easy!

I have a set of Sears ignition wrenches. I slide the closed-end in from the top, which reaching the first finger on my other hand underneath the #3/#4 header. It's a bit of a reach, but I can usually have both headers unbolted in about 15 minutes (including all header bolts).

So... my invaluable tool - Sears ignition wrenches.

-Bob C.

Digital Camera

:waving: Hey Guys !

Certainly seems like the way to go !

Their Cost has dropped considerably.

No film, You can Zoom, Plug in to the computer, edit, save or delete.

A LOT of Nice features :thumbsup:

Tom Gallagher

Ignition Wrenches

:waving: Hey Bob

Thanks for the TIP! :thumbsup:

When You buy any set of Craftsman Wrench Sets they ALWAYS include Ignition AND Allen Wrenchs SOOOOO! ....

Needless to sayI have more than one set of each !

I have used them just a few times and are still in the flimsy clear plastic package. They are all an assortment of small sizes. Like for assembling and erector set.

Now I know what they are used for

Tom Gallagher

Last edited:
I would like to add craftmans std. wrenches ( not the chrome ones ) can be heated and bent to odd shapes to remove bolts . HTH Also their screw drivers .

OK, kind of the opposite of what you asked for but... here's a tool you shouldn't waste your money on... boxed wratchet wrenches. Seems like a great idea for those tight spaces that you can't get to with a socket and can only manage 1/4 turn with a normal box wrench. The problem is that the wratchet design makes them bigger than a regular wrench, so they often won't fit into those tight spaces. Frustrating!

Snap on makes a set of combo wrenches that has the box end ractet plus swivels.$$$ My favorite new tool is a short handled 5 lb. brass hammer.It works great on rusted on rotor "hats"

Wrenching Secrets

:waving: Hey Scott

Those first "ratcheting" wrenches that first came out are quite Clumbsy and awkward.

The new type "gear" wrenches have a slimmer profile.

They now have "Swivel" heads and also are available in "S" shapes.

The BIGGEST Problem I found with wrenches was storage. I tried those metal and plastic storage rack but they just didn't hold heavy wrenches "Stable and Secure".

I went and purchased a "Wrench Roll" a heavy duck canvas pouch that holds your assortment of wrenches in order of size in a roll-up pouch.

The wrenches don't fall out and you can put the pouch on a fender without marring the paint finish and clean-up and pick-up is easy. :thumbsup:

The BEST 10 Bucks I ever Spent :bana:

Everyone always asks me where I got them.

I also came across a set of Flare-Nut Crow-Foot Wrench Sets that really come in handy in tight places that you can't get with a wrench or or ratchet and socket.

Tom Gallagher

I have a do not buy .. The " cordless solder tool , the one on TV that is no heat at tip " this $19.99 tool is not able to be used with auto. wiring repairs ..works great on very small project and lite ele. repairs only ..
HTH

I used the flair crowfoot to change the injecter pump on a 6.2 deisel what a life saver!The snap-on motis scanner is a must have on the late model stuff but at $8,500 it really hurts!:coo:

Wrenching Secrets

I bought a set of Alden ratcheting Flare Nut wrenches from Eastwood that are used in the Avation Industry to use on Lines and Tubing Fittings That I have found make quick work of those compression fittings which with some of those stiff lines that you don't want to "kink". Sometimes those things are a real PITA and awkward in tight places especially when you need the exact lenght.

I generally find Eastwood supplys some pretty handy tools.:thumbsup:

I also bought their "Brake Drum Removal Tool" looks like a GIANT Gear Puller with a good sized center worm that is made to fiit a 1/2 ratchet.
I haven't used it yet, but plan to real soon.

The Drums are rusted on and haven't been removed since at least 1970.

The 45 bucks for the tool will be worth the price compaired to price of replacing a drum if I broke one. Another thing is the hastle of trying to locate a serviceable drum which would probably cost 45 buck to ship

:beers:
Tom Gallagher

try spraying some PB BLASTER were the axle meets the drum and let it soak for an hour I think NAPA carries it.I've also had to heat the drums around the axel then "persuade" them with a 5lb brass hammer:smash:

Re:Brake Drums

I have used a lot of PB Blaster.

I buy it by the case.

I have also used some heat from a Burns_O - Matic

Those Drums are real stubborn

I guess I will have to perform some aditional applications.

Thanks for the Info

Tom Gallagher

Back