ID

smith8833

Looking at a straight 8, listed as a 1949. I believe it to be a 320, the stamped number, at the back of the engine above the dip stick is 4220207 (all I can make out). I can not locate it in the reference listing. I must be missing something but what? Any help would be great thanks in advance!

My interpretation is (not the last word), using the "engine identification chart" by the numbers, I would interpret that number as missing the model number, and that would put "42" as cast in 1941. Using the same chart, an engine cast in "49 would start with 52,53,54. The '41 engines may include a prefix number indicating a model and an engine cast in '49 may have a suffix number indicating a model. The location of the number indicates the large engine.

That is about what I found, making it a 41-42 320. Owner is positive it's 49 must have been swapped down the line. Thanks for the response.

on the V8 215 if the block is decked it can take with it the identification numbers. if that is the case with other engines with missing identification marks possible in the path of the machining that was removed. Machine shop could restamp in the numbers at that time but looks like someone didn't.

That is about what I found, making it a 41-42 320. Owner is positive it's 49 must have been swapped down the line. Thanks for the response.

A 320 will have the crankcase "breather" towards the front of the engine on the driver side almost behind the generator,, 248/263 this is located near the back of the engine. 1949 will have a pad with four [ 4] bolt holes for the engine mounts about 13 of the way back from the front of the block.
Pictures??

Ben

Back