1/2 electric power GONE?

OZ40

Okay, went out yesterday, car (1960 Lesabre 4 dr. hardtop 364/2bbl) started up fine, runs great. Using the old am radio, radio stops working, also now not working the turn signals, brake lights, wipers. Headlights, taillights, dome light, parking lights working fine. What happened, any ideas? Is there a fusible link somewhere that may have fried?

When crazy 'global' elelctrical problems pop up, the main suspect is the ignition switch. All the dead loads are fed by the #12 pink wire coming from the ignition switch. That wire feeds power to the six fuses on one side of the fuse block. No fusible links in that part of the circuit.

Last edited:
Todd

Thank you for that tidbit of info! I will certainly check that out and post results! As you know it's frustrating to have a car 'finished up' and ready to go and suddenly the gremlins start appearing and the electrical gremlins are the worst!

I know the feeling. Seems like it is not unusual to see the switch fail for no apparent reason at 75-100 k mi. If it has those push-on connectors on the back those can start overheating and melting the plastic housing.

It would be interesting to see if the affected loads come on with the ignition switch in the Accessory position.

Last edited:
Solved!!!!

SOLVED!!! Thanks for the info guys. First, it's been too hot here and I really didn't want to crawl around and contort in and under a vehicle BUT: Finally got Gary to check it out at the shop and it seems that the harness plug on the back of the ignition switch had the retaining screw come loose and gradually the plug was working it's way loose until finally it disconnected completely. Plug reinstalled and the screw retightened along with another screw since added to assure that doesn't occur again. Problem solved and back on the road, Yee-Haw!!

Back