1940 Buick Special 4-door ("door-stopper" needed)

Hi,
need help with parts. My door-stoppers are broken and i need 4 of these parts (all 4 doors).
How can i buy it?
I am not shure, how it named these parts in english correctly. Please see pictures. You see the drivers side door and the broken part i need has an red marker,
Thanks!

Attachments

• A1 (44).JPG
    A1 (44).JPG
    687.1 KB · Views: 10
  • A1 (45).JPG
    A1 (45).JPG
    814.3 KB · Views: 9
If those suppliers don't work out, I have some used front ones -rods and nuts, no rubber bumpers- from my parts car. You're welcome to them. (The front ones are different from the back ones, which are marked L or R, but seem interchangeable.) To replace these parts, it would be good to have fresh batteries in your X-ray vision glasses, and maybe an extra joint between your elbow and wrist. (It's not that bad, reallly, once the upholstery panels are off.)

In the picture, it looks like the springs that work with the door stoppers to hold the door wide open, are broken. One of mine was, too, just the upper arm, and I was able to weld a replacement in. It was tricky to do, but so far, so good. Replacing the whole spring, fastened with four rivets, looked to me like a job to be done with the door off.

Hi and thank you so much for your helpful comment. On my car are all the springs broken and thats the main problem. If i could buy some springs so i can fix it. I hope!
Do you think it works and i could replace the springs on this door stoppers? Hope it this is easyer to fix only the springs or what do you think?
By the way. How can we write us an email direct? :unsure:

Hi, Oliver in Germany,
I don't know if the springs are available from the suppliers 1959 Buick LeSabre named in his reply to you. Maybe so, since we've both had them fail, and we probably aren't the first two to have it happen. The spring is something like the letter C, made from a spring steel strap about 3 cm wide. The back of the C is straight, not curved, and is riveted inside the door, with the open end of the C facing back toward the door latch area. The tips of the open ends of the C are curved, the upper one upward, and the lower one downward. The opening of the C is slightly smaller than the disc that is one piece with the nut on the rod. Once the disc and rubber bumper are forced through the open ends of the C spring as the door is moved near its limit, the spring tension keeps the door in the open position until enough closing force is applied to overcome the spring tension. Replacing the front door rods/discs/rubber bumpers isn't very hard, once access is gained. Because the springs are riveted to the inside of the front of the door frame, and access for tools is restricted, they are tougher to replace. So I chose the pain of cutting and welding the upper arm of my broken sping inside the door, rather than the pain of taking the door off to grind off/drill out the rivets.
I would be happy to email you, but I don't know if that's OK with Team Buick - your messages are annotated with "You must reply through the website" or some such wording. I don't know what that's about. Can you clear that up for us, Team Buick?
Your Buick looks good. Mine is much rougher, and not a "correct original". It may possibly get painted this year.
Stephen in Canada

Hi Stephen, thank you so much for your detailed explanation. This helps me a lot further to understand how it works.
I have sent you an email (test) and I hope it worked. I look forward and will be glad for a further exchange with you.
Many thanks and greetings to Canada.
Oliver

I would be happy to email you, but I don't know if that's OK with Team Buick - your messages are annotated with "You must reply through the website" or some such wording. I don't know what that's about. Can you clear that up for us, Team Buick?
It is meaning that you cannot reply to that notification. The reply will go nowhere.
From a website point of view, it is preferred that interactions are kept on the site because that allows others to find solutions to their problems through information shared in those postings. However, you can interact however you wish and agree on.

Hi again,
in my view we find here two ways to post or reply in this wonderful forum. That's how I see and read it here.
Publicly in the forum (all can read) or only "privately" (not all can read) via the "conversations" function offered here (see picture of the envelope right side on top here).
So i am shure that helpful Stephen brake not the protocol here. :)
So both are possible (and also useful, I think).
If I'm wrong, please feel free to correct me.
Best regards
Oliver

Attachments

• Unbenannt123.PNG
    Unbenannt123.PNG
    773 bytes · Views: 4
Last edited:
Maybe Chevrolet or Cadillac used the same part. It is easy to find parts for Chevrolet.
Or find out if DVAP in Phoenix have a used one. Maybe somebody in Germany can make them

Hello and thank you for your ideas and thoughts on the subject. The construction seems very complicated to me. A replica is probably not that easy. Used parts (also from Chevrolet) would probably be the best idea. It is all in progress. Hoping for better weather and much more sunny warm days! :)

Hello and thank you for your ideas and thoughts on the subject. The construction seems very complicated to me. A replica is probably not that easy. Used parts (also from Chevrolet) would probably be the best idea. It is all in progress. Hoping for better weather and much more sunny warm days! :)
Find a Chevrolet group and see if somebody has any Idea. Also there is a Group called H A M P They are very good

I think that's H A M B, isn't it?
Hi again,
in my view we find here two ways to post or reply in this wonderful forum. That's how I see and read it here.
Publicly in the forum (all can read) or only "privately" (not all can read) via the "conversations" function offered here (see picture of the envelope right side on top here).
So i am shure that helpful Stephen brake not the protocol here. :)
So both are possible (and also useful, I think).
If I'm wrong, please feel free to correct me.
Best regards
Oliver
Hi, Oliver, I sent pictures to the email address you provided. Did they get through to you?

Hi,
need help with parts. My door-stoppers are broken and i need 4 of these parts (all 4 doors).
How can i buy it?
I am not shure, how it named these parts in english correctly. Please see pictures. You see the drivers side door and the broken part i need has an red marker,
Thanks!
anyone with challenges finding parts obsolete, you can find a good machinist or welder that can make you these parts. rubber parts can be found or made.

Back