1952 buick frame

Al's 52

I am measuring my frame and the frame dimensions in the factory manual has some discrepancies. Are the any other drawings with dimensions out there?

What dicrepancies are you finding? I have used the factory chassis manual like the one on this site for frame work and never noticed any?

52 frame

The top of frame rail is shown to be 16" above floor. The body outriggers "dimension D" is 19+" when the outriggers are 1 1/2" below the top of frame. Also, the "A" dimension is approx 2" higher than mine. My dimensions "B" and "C" are dead on with the drawing. The distance is relatively short between "A" and "B" and as this is a contour shape to the frame you would think there would be some obvious distortion for such a variance at point "A".

This makes me think there are "issues" with the dimensions on this drawing.

Thoughts anyone?

I see the issue you are refering to. In the '51 manual all dimensions are oriented to a centerline on the top of the frame rail. Both frames are virtually identical. I have attached the diagram from the '51 manual.

Attachments

• 51-frame.jpg
    51-frame.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 27
Snake-man, Thanks but that'smthe drawing I was trying to use.

Bob, Thank you. I will try this drawing. I looks more in line with my frame.

Merry Christmas to all !!!!

52 frame

Bob,

I'm having trouble reading the dimensions.....can you rescan and/or do something else?

Thanks

Frame update

Well yesterday we took the frame to a frame shop. All this guy does is frame straightening and suspensions. He will work on it ASAP to confirm all dimensions and straighten as needed. No sense building on a frame that is not "dead on".

Bob, you said the difference between a 51 and a 52 frame was that the frame was boxed behind the rear axle. Did you mean the side rails or the cross piece at the rear which goes side to side?

The piece that goes across the ends is really bent upfrom the shipping damage. I was thinking of using 2in square tubing instead of having someone bend up some 12-14 ga steel into a c shape. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I can drill the body mount and bumper holes and even cut the ends as needed to access the bumper bolts. Someone had a good picture of this piece in a posting a while back regarding a trunk floor for a 51 Super. I tried to capture it and attach but no go.

It is boxed towards the back of the frame, but it is not important. Probably Buick found too many people hooking chains onto the piece you are talking about and pulling the side in. That is probably how your rear piece got damaged.

The boxing goes from the rear crossmember towards the back of the frame. It doesn't go all the way to the back piece which is damaged on your frame.

You might get a piece of square tubing or rectangular tubing and cut one side off to give you the u shape. It isn't a part that shows much, so actually you could fix a pretty bad piece to be good enough with a little cutting and welding.

Bob,

Did you receive the picture of that guy's trunk? I was going to cut one side of a piece of square tubing but I think it would twist/distort because of the way they make tubing. When you cut it that much, it kinda distorts. I was thinking of just slicing 5-6 inches off of one side at each end and leave the rest as a box. Still looking for a metal fabricator that can just bend up a piece of 12ga but the pricing is ridiculous......but I'm a 50cents for a cup of coffee type of guy (old).

Back