1952 frame identification

Al's 52

Hi Group,
I am brand new so please excuse my mistakes. I have just bought a frame/suspension for a1952 Super. How can I confirm this is the correct frame?

I am planning on a frame up restoration on my dad's 1952 4dr Riviera sedan. Any info as to vin location on frame, frame interchange, etc. would be appreciated.

Dave

The frames are the same except for length. The two rails on the Roadmaster are longer than on the Super in the front area. The Roadmaster body will mount to the frame, but the front fender assembly will not.

The frame number should be located near the steering box and on the upper side of the right rail a foot or two from the back where you can not see it without removing the body.

Frame

Thanks Bob

The frame is enroute. When it arrives I will check both locations. Is there
a correlation between the number and the actual year/make/model of the car?

Thanks again

Dave

Frame

Ok, so we do not have a way of identifying whether this is a 48-53 frame or a 2 dr, 4dr, convertible,etc.?

I was hoping there was a correlation to the model (ie : Super 1952 and a range of vin numbers. Things have really changed over the years on VIN #s.

Frame

Thanks Bob,

Great info. Armed with this and my tape measure I'll figure out what I have as soon as it arrives. I will keep you informed.

frame

Well, the frame arrived and has the following number on the front left frame horn......16341835

I could use some additional info on this if possible.

Thanks in advance

Frame update

Discovered upon inspection some dame to frame....Cross member at rear of frame rails twisted and flattened.....Fork lift?

Also, does anyone know if the 1952 s/ns were for all models or did buick have a certain range of numbers for each model and sub-model.

I know this is a super or roadmaster. Having a single motor mount on each side makes me think its a super but I still don't have a definite answer as to whether a 2 dr and 4dr supers had the same frame....etc. Does the frame number above tell us more than built location and vehicle number?

Bob, I appreciate all your posts. Anyone else have more info or thoughts.

After the freight company completes their process, I want to get started

On page 03 of the '52 shop manual, you will find the models which share the same wheelbase. There is no other model that has the same wheel base as the 4dr Roadmaster:
http://www.teambuick.com/reference/library/52_shop/files/0.pdf

There is other frame dimesions and info in section 9, but there are no dimensions that will help you determine whether the frame (if it doesn't have front spindles to allow you to determine wheelbase) you have is a Super or a Roadmaster:
http://www.teambuick.com/reference/library/52_shop/files/9-a.pdf

As I mentioned, the diffence is going to be in the front of the frame. The one I have is bare enough that I can probably come up with a dimension or two that will allow you to compare.

Frame

Hi Bob,

How about the motor mounts? How do the supers and roadmasters differ?

I can measure anything on the front that's easy for you.

52 buick frame

Here's the latest....SAIA trucking damaged the rear of the frame and with the fork lift popped the center link tube apart. They want to settle for 10 cents per lb. 540# equals 54 dollars. Watch it if you ever ship used parts as that's what they are worth when damaged unless you pay for specific insurance coverage. Anyway, I'm still working on this.

Back 2 inches of frame rails almost flatened. Back piece twisted and bent. What's the best way to restore the rails as I can put this in a frame shop unless SAIA comes thru.

So that you can determine if you have the right frame, I just measured the one I have. Hook you tape measure on the back of the square plate on the top of the X member and measure to the back of the front crossmember. It should be 69 3/4" for the 4 dr.

Back