1953 Buick Special Front Brakes Conversion

roystacy

Hello. I have a 53 Buick Special 2 door hardtop. Among other things, I would like to convert it to either newer drum brakes or disc brakes. Has anyone done this type of conversion on a 53 Buick Special? I have read posts reagrding 60s and 70 Buicks, but not sure that will help me out any. If someone can help me out with info or direction to find info, that would be greatly appreciated. I also saw a 50 Buick called Gangrene. He said he put airbags on teh stock suspension easy as pie. I need to find out how to do that as well.

Thanks and take care.

I think the best choice for most people is a disc conversion like the ones from Scarebird. The cost isn't really all that bad, because all you actually need to buy from them is the brackets and sometimes the bearing adaptors. The rest of it you can do with salvage yard parts if you are on a tight budget

There is no practical upgrade using factory parts, either disc or drum, because the suspension design changed so much on the later cars. You would have to be a pretty good machinist and welder to do the necessary fab work. If you are that skilled, maybe you might want to look at some kind of crossmember swap so you can rid of all the metal bushings and grease fittings, not to mention the original type shock absorbers.

Sorry, but can't offer any help with the bags because all of my projects are drivers and ride at pretty much stock height.

Ray

Last edited:
Thanks. I will look up the site and see what's available. A friend of mine said we could probably slide a 70s chevy frame under this bad boy and be done with it. I am going to have to think about what's next. Take care.

Many years ago on my '55 Buick Special I installed the brakes from a '63 Riv. to the front & rear including the drums. Wasn't all the involved or complicated as I remember. The difference was night & day. I even used the original master as at the time the dual masters were a new thing.

Many years ago on my '55 Buick Special I installed the brakes from a '63 Riv. to the front & rear including the drums.

Tom, was that part of an open drive conversion, or did you keep the stock 55 rear end?

Ray

I looked up that website and found a set up for my car. It uses Astrovan brakes and rotors from 71-76 Riviera. and it only costs $185! Coolness. Thanks for the heads up.

Heres a kit for ya

Hello. I have a 53 Buick Special 2 door hardtop. Among other things, I would like to convert it to either newer drum brakes or disc brakes. Has anyone done this type of conversion on a 53 Buick Special? I have read posts reagrding 60s and 70 Buicks, but not sure that will help me out any. If someone can help me out with info or direction to find info, that would be greatly appreciated. I also saw a 50 Buick called Gangrene. He said he put airbags on teh stock suspension easy as pie. I need to find out how to do that as well.

Thanks and take care.
Wilwood makes a disc brake kit that uses stock spindles and is a bolt on kit ,if you ever want to change back to stock you can.I just ordered a kit for my 49 super,spose to be here next week.If you order from summit the kit is cheaper and faster shipping.The kit costs around $700.you get all hardware rotors calibers,brake pads new style bearings,installed with basic handtools.Hope this helps you
dealbud57

i had planned on getting the wilwood kit for the front until i came across scarebird this weekend. the main thing i like about the adapter kits, is that if i have a break down, parts are available at the local parts shop. i will likely be ordering their front and rear kit and get a dual res master cylinder as well.

1953 Buick master cylinder relocation

i've recently put the Wilwood front disc brake conversion on my 53 special and now i've decided that I would like to upgrade to a dual master cylinder and put it on the firewall. I haven't found any kits designed specifically for a 53, but I did find a universal kit that JEGS makes for putting the master on the fire wall but i'm not a hundred percent sure that it will work. If there's anybody that's had a similar issue or anybody that could provide some guidance on this i'd greatly appreciate it. thx

I can recommend the kit from TOM'S CLASSICS ....on Ebay I put a set on my 53 Pontiac and on my 47 Oldsmobile. Remember you will need to change to a boosted dual circuit disc/drum master cyl with proportioning valve also and this is where the WORK comes in..... and please check that the flexible line to the rear diff is not clogged like so many are...replace it.

Back