Im looking at purchasing a 1969 that I am promised is a gs
It has a limited slip diff badges chrome air etc etc

Plate reads ST 69 49487 EUC 126577 BDY
TR / 694 50 50 PNT
01A

Does all this mean anything .... How else can I check
WHere would one find the A9 option???? CONFUSED
Thanks and appreciate your time

Sorry, Nope can't tell from that info. You could try checking to make sure it is a 3.42 rear axle. If the tube isn't rusted too bad check on the driver side on bottom of axle tube about 3-4" iver from diff housing. Look for a PY stamp. This axle was available as an option on non-GS cars.
Make sure the location of GS badges on the fenders are consistent with other 68/69 GS cars. If you search the net you can find pics.
Chrome lid on air cleaner and thats the only tell-tel signs. Remember the chrome lid was available as a dealer option.

If all 3 items are present and appear to be unmolested and match the patina of the rest of car. You're probably OK

Hi and thanks so much for that
So just to confirm I need to check that the diameter of the axle is 3.42 and that there is NO py stamped on the diff.
Regards
Greg

Hi and thanks so much for that
So just to confirm I need to check that the diameter of the axle is 3.42 and that there is NO py stamped on the diff.
Regards
Greg

The 3.42 ratio (3.42 revolutions of the driveshaft for 1 revolution of the wheel) axle WILL have the PY stamp on the bottom of tube.

The standard 3.07 ratio axle was available with the Limited slip but not as part of the GS option. This had a stamped code of PM

Thanks again for that
So I guess its a matter of marking the axle and turning the wheels(jacked up of the ground)!!!
May I ask the fender badges I have seen some claimed GS cars with and some without the GS and also The side fender lights some small and some large ... was that a plant variation as I cant seem to make do with dates of manufacture
Cheers
Greg

Thanks again for that
So I guess its a matter of marking the axle and turning the wheels(jacked up of the ground)!!!
May I ask the fender badges I have seen some claimed GS cars with and some without the GS and also The side fender lights some small and some large ... was that a plant variation as I cant seem to make do with dates of manufacture
Cheers
Greg

You can check by turning the driveshaft and counting turns of wheel. Note that if a brake is dragging on one wheel, this method may be inconclusive but usually it will work fine.
All GS cars have the same badges from factory. No variations and No exceptions.

On the fender lights.....you may be confusing the cornering light option vs a standard side marker light.

If you plan to have interest in Rivs for awhile consider joining the Riviera Owners Association. There is a wealth of info available as well as technical advisors. http://www.rivowners.org/

Hi there
I actually am a member but u have told me more in the last 2 days than the whole month ive been with them
Anyhow
The funny thing is the gas bumper lid doesnt have the R logo
But i thought the production date is 01A so the first day of jan 1969?? i know the 68 didnt have the logo??
Unless it was changed at a later date this may be a genuine difference.?? Thats why I querry why the side GS emblems are different
One side writes.... RIVIERA GS and the other GS RIVIERA. Car has been painted so maybe put on wrong but as to why they couldnt follow the badge pins is beyond me ...unless it never had them....Either way Im getting to see the car again this friday and Ill check a few more things out
Thanks so much and tell me what you think of all the junk I just wrote about.
Cheers
Greg

Hope all is well

I just thought id show you something as well from the rivowners...

In the Articles from the Review under the subheading ID a Gran Sport

...page 2.....

The GS letters on all 66-69 models follow the Riviera script on both sides as in "Riviera GS".

If you ever see "GS Riviera" on the passenger side, it is not correct.

This clearly states that if you ever see the GS RIVIERA on the passenger side it is wrong...Does this mean that it it is sometimes correct to be seen in that order on the drivers side??
That is the question I have left for them to answer
What do u make out from that?
Interesting!!! By the way my logo is GS riviera on the drivers side...

Hope all is well

I just thought id show you something as well from the rivowners...

In the Articles from the Review under the subheading ID a Gran Sport

...page 2.....

The GS letters on all 66-69 models follow the Riviera script on both sides as in "Riviera GS".

If you ever see "GS Riviera" on the passenger side, it is not correct.

This clearly states that if you ever see the GS RIVIERA on the passenger side it is wrong...Does this mean that it it is sometimes correct to be seen in that order on the drivers side??
That is the question I have left for them to answer
What do u make out from that?
Interesting!!! By the way my logo is GS riviera on the drivers side...

It is Riviera GS on both sides. The only reason the article calls out the passenger side is because thats the most likely side that an uninformed cloner would screw up because there is more room for the GS before "Riviera" than there is after it.

Thanks for ur help and wanted to update u on the progress.
Although the letters where reversed I checked on the inside of the fender through opening the door and noticed that the old holes which where now filled from the outside where in the position of the GS emblem on the inside. The car was repainted and for some reason the badge must have been repositioned by error??? Now is the next step and I was hoping you may know the answer.... I am looking for the PY Initial on the diff / axle>> ?? and although its fairly clean I cant see it. I havnt jacked it up all the way but it would help me if I know exacly where the three inches from the diff centre on the axle was.....??? front... back... underside>.??
Appreciate your help
Regards
Greg

The stamp is on the bottom of the driver side axle tube - Its "usually" about 3-4" over from the point where the tube goes into the differential housing but it can vary so if its not there look a little closer or farther.
Sometimes the stamps are very light. You may also see an X with a circle around it further indicating a limited slip diff.

Hi there'
Thanks so much for all ur help
All is well and initials are all great
I was wondering if u knew anything about blinkers...new issue...Now I own the car

No blinkers work...the fuse is fine
Then I took the flasher unit out and shorted the contacts out to see if it was the flasher but no blinkers turned on... so the flasher I assume if fine
I dont know where else to look or what to try
Any advice??
Thanks
Greg

Hi again
I figured it all out
Funny enough I read that thier are 2 flasher units...one for the hazzards
the rest just figured itself out
THE NEXT question I have if you could be bothered to answer is that when I press the brakes a bit firm the brake light comes on as if I have put on the park brake..then turns off when I lighten up a little....??? Brake fluid level is fine
Cheers
Greg

Hi again
I figured it all out
Funny enough I read that thier are 2 flasher units...one for the hazzards
the rest just figured itself out
THE NEXT question I have if you could be bothered to answer is that when I press the brakes a bit firm the brake light comes on as if I have put on the park brake..then turns off when I lighten up a little....??? Brake fluid level is fine
Cheers
Greg

There is a switch on the brake proportioning valve. If there is an incorrect pressure differential between the front and back brakes when the brake pedal is applied the light will come on. It could be various causes such as air in the sytem, master cylinder, blockage in a line, or a leak somewhere.

Back