1973 Riviera Yellow wire starter solenoid

I am patching some crazy wiring of a recent 73 Riviera purchase to get it running.

I can't seem to find any info identifying what color wires do what on the starter solenoid. I also purchased a single wire alternator as well and don't want to blow anything up.

What do each of the color wires do on starter solenoid (purple, yellow, and red)?

thanks

The BIG red starter wire/cable should be the battery cable from the battery positive terminal directly to the stud on the starter solenoid attached with, usually, a 9/16th. or 5/8ths. headed nut.
The purple wire goes to the "S" terminal of the solenoid which is activated when the ignition switch is turned to the start position .
The yellow wire goes to the "R:" terminal of the solenoid which is ALSO activated when the ignition switch is turned to the start position.
The yellow wire ALSO makes it's way up to the positive side of the coil for a FULL 12 volts to the coil for easier starting OWNLY when cold & could have two wires connected there.
AFTER the switch is moved to the run position the resister wire now supplies the voltage for the coil.

Tom T.

The BIG red starter wire/cable should be the battery cable from the battery positive terminal directly to the stud on the starter solenoid attached with, usually, a 9/16th. or 5/8ths. headed nut.
The purple wire goes to the "S" terminal of the solenoid which is activated when the ignition switch is turned to the start position .
The yellow wire goes to the "R:" terminal of the solenoid which is ALSO activated when the ignition switch is turned to the start position.
The yellow wire ALSO makes it's way up to the positive side of the coil for a FULL 12 volts to the coil for easier starting OWNLY when cold & could have two wires connected there.
AFTER the switch is moved to the run position the resister wire now supplies the voltage for the coil.

Tom T.
Thank you.

Back