1978 V6 Turbo

jvanho01

About how much would a complete 1978 V6 Turbo be worth. It was running when it was pulled in 1988. Thinking about buying it for a project I will do if I get the motor.

Thanks,
Jim V.

I wouldn't offer more than scrap value. The 1978 was a carb'd turbo (fairly undesirable), and you're gonna have to assume that the motor will require a complete rebuild (since you have no guarantee otherwise).

The one attractive aspect was that 1978 was the first year of the turbo'ed 3.8 motor, but they are not a great performance motor.

So maybe $50.

-Bob C.

Well....I have a 79 Turbo Regal that is modified and has run 14.10 in the 1/4!
It's a great street car that I hope to get back on the road soon.

Now the 79 did have the better hi-port intake cylinder head that was used thru 87. The 78 has the old style that did not flow as well.

The 78 did have the desirable rolled-fillet crankshaft.

The Buick Turbo Cars are some of the finest looking and best running cars to come out of Michigan in many a year.The Grand Nationals from 1984 and up,have out ran just about everything at the Dragstrip,in almost any class.The Grand Nationals have opened a few eyes to V6 Turbo Power. The all-black exterior paint and the bulging hood reminds us of the muscle cars of the sixties and early seventies.

Really depends on your plans for the motor. Are you putting it in a Regal or what. Maybe I can help with some suggestions. :shield:

3.8 GNX turbo engine and original 200-4R transmission

For sale, complete 3.8 Grand National turbo engine with many extra parts including brand new, not rebuilt, replacement turbo. The engine is low miles, never raced, never separated from transmission. I am trying to locate a rebuilt straight eight with dual carbs. Thanks. Don

I have a '78 turbo engine sitting in my garage I payed less then $350.00 for. I am thinking about selling it because I have changed directions with my project. Its complete down to wiring harness for the turbo computer. I do not know its internal conditions, and as already been stated it would probably have to be rebuilt. If you are still interested we might be able to work something out.

Back