1995 Roadmaster

S

shifty_jim100

I have a '95 roadmaster that I picked up almost a year ago. Really nice car, reminds me of the old boats, big heavy, but full of power! (not so much as a big block of course, but its refreshing none the less)

Problem I have with the car is that the engine seems to make next little heat. The temp guage rarely ever gets past the middle mark (its a dummy guage), the last time it did I had let it run for 45 minutes outside of work. The air is luke warm out of the blower. Not only that but my seat warmer doesn't work :mad: and its cold outside!

I have already installed a new thermostat in it, as the guy who had it before me had installed the wrong one (it didnt have a gasket) and so it leaked a bit.
Coolant level seems ok and the air does not blow cold so something is going on...
What I am after is any information on known issues with that motor. Does this particular motor just not run hot?

Also, does anyone know what the recall was on the transmission on this car (any info on it would be helpful)

Pretty much Im in love with this car, I blew up the muffler a month or so ago I think one of the baffles was loose in the muffler, you could hear it rattling once in a while, and it moved around too. I was merging onto I-294 one fine day on my way to work and noticed the car wasn't performing as it usually does, then BAM and I took off like a rocket. Made me jump a bit :) Its a little slow on takeoff at the light(or stop sign) now, but it still performs really great at speeds greater than 45 mph and I usually drive on the interstate. I am just working too much and don't have time to get it in the shop for the time required for the repair.

Roadmasters are really great cars. I cant wait to get my 67 rivvy on the road again though, maybe next year :(

The Roadmaster in 95 was prone to clogged heater cores , also the thermostat is different than most cars , also the eng. is prone to air locks in cooling sys. ( hard to get air out of the cooling sys. ) this would be a good place to start . HTH guyopel

Your right, I jacked up the right front of the car to
burp the radiator so to speak, when I changed the coolant.

The plastic nipple on the intake manifold to the bypass hose had small
crack leaking intermittantly. I could smell it, but it took a while to find.

guyopel said:
The Roadmaster in 95 was prone to clogged heater cores , also the thermostat is different than most cars , also the eng. is prone to air locks in cooling sys. ( hard to get air out of the cooling sys. ) this would be a good place to start . HTH guyopel

Is there anything to be done about this? Friend of mine has run limeaway through a cooling system or two, but on older vehicles... I really don't wanna go there :)

Will a standard flush do the trick ya think?
How tough is it on these cars to replace the heater core, and is there any way to keep them from getting clogged?

jazzbass said:
It may be the same problem I had with my 95 Riviera.

Is your outdoor temp reading correctly? Mine was reading 40 degrees
higher than the actual temp. Apparantly the the climate control uses that
data to mix inside air. Here's the previous link.
Mine seems to be on the money.
Thanks though :)

guyopel said:
Most of the heater cores I seen had to be replaced . sorry .
eh, its a pain, but do-able.
Can I pull it from the engine side, or do I need to tear my dash apart?

Thanks for all the feedback too btw!

Heater core is inside ( pass. side floor ) r&r pass. lower panels remove heater hoses & lower case cover and towels to catch coolant app. 2.0 hrs
but getting air out is longer .... open bleed screws under hood and then add coolant ( engine not running ) HTH :beers: Guyopel

I had the same problem. I first changed the thermostate. That was about 40 bucks. Most expensive thermo I ever bought. That didnt help. What helped was flushing the heater core. I took the hoses off the firewall and ran the garden hose through them in the oppsoite direction of normal flow through the core. All sorts of sludge came out. Works fine now. To replace the core is not a big deal, believe it or not. It comes right out from the inside on the passenger side floor area. When i did finally need to replace it, it took about 45 minutes total. Just remember to open the bleeder valve(the little screw) on the thermostate housing while you are refilling it with antifreeze.

Back