263 rebuild

LONG

hello all, is there a good thread on here for rebuilding? I am in process and thought if not, then I could throw some part numbers and a little D&A out there. I have had bearing failure and #1 piston fail. anyone have a running 263 dflow for sale? lol.

Attachments

• IMG_1188.jpg
    IMG_1188.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_1212.jpg
    IMG_1212.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 80
Long-
I completed rebuilding a 263 about a year ago. Started with a running, lightly smoking engine with good oil pressure and a frozen heat riser valve. I had not done a rebuild since 1964, and that was a Chevy stovebolt. Needless to say, I didn't do my own machine work.
Key points: (1) Get a Buick Manual, or rely on the 1952 manual on this site; and (2) This is a heavy engine when assembled. Your assembly stand must be stout.
Just for perspective, my outlays for the rebuild are attached.
'51 Special

Attachments

• Engine Repair costs.pdf
    244 KB · Views: 105
Block and crank are not repairable, with next piston- and bearing size ?

just weighing replace vs repair. I am taking it to a machine shop to bore cylinders tomorrow. and I am not going to use an engine stand. just setting it on its ass like the photo. works well. I have already pulled a good piston out of my parts car. just swapped rods, different weights.

You have a part car ? ...thats my dream ;-)

The Pistons match with the new needed over bore size ?

..and, you cant match the weight from the rod ends ?....same with the pistons..

Last edited:
You have a part car ? ...thats my dream ;-)

The Pistons match with the new needed over bore size ?

..and, you cant match the weight from the rod ends ?....same with the pistons..

yeah Jens, some guy I see sometimes at cruise ins gave me a wrecked 50 4 door super. he even delivered it. A TRUE BUICK LOVER. he just wanted someone to get use out of her, I dropped the engine off at the machine shop. hopefully I don't have to go oversize. if this requires new pistons and more, it might be getting a SBC. I DO NOT WANT THIS TO HAPPEN. the rods have different numbers stamped on them. weights? I have not scaled them, yet. I will match/ balance the rotating assm the best of my ability before reassembly.

EGGE has 2 different ring options. both cast. Hastings $97 or Grant $57. same? any preference?

engine.

PLEASE don't do SBC. Rebuild yours. I believe it will be much cheaper. Take the opportunity to warm it up a bit, maybe. I rebuilt the 248 in my '50 for about $3000.00 in parts and machine work. And that included the machine shop doing the head, since I was still driving a truck cross country.

Ben

My engine builder is shying away from the Grant rings, he said he has not had good luck with them and prefers the Hastings rings. It may have something to do with Hastings rings are / were manufactured local to us in West Michigan.

My engine builder is shying away from the Grant rings, he said he has not had good luck with them and prefers the Hastings rings. It may have something to do with Hastings rings are / were manufactured local to us in West Michigan.

thanks for the input.

my SBC is free and I have a 1980 Malibu to use as frame. But, I really want to keep the straight 8. plus, I'd have to change my plates. STRAYT 8

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 24
But, me too cant change my Engine ..see my plate ;-)

11931351ss.jpg

(HB stands for my hometown :Hansestadt Bremen and the last H for Historic Car )

Last edited:
But, me too cant change my Engine ..see my plate ;-)

11931351ss.jpg

(HB stands for my hometown :Hansestadt Bremen and the last H for Historic Car )

Rad. My family is from Germany. South of you though. I also work at a dealership that sells CLAAS combines. hope to visit Harsewinkel with the company sometime

Ok , here some more pics, but theyre 2 years old.. ,i think i had post them then...
doesnt matter because the Car looks always like the same :D
11931344oc.jpg
11931368ez.jpg
11931365wn.jpg

( The 50 Oil is from my old engine.. :D)

And i forgot ,I
cant change my engine because of that :
15128839iv.jpg

:D:D

Last edited:
got word back from the machine shop. He verified my measurements. all OK. I can use all standard bearings and keep the same pistons. they are going to true up my cylinders and hone. now to call EGGE.

holysmokes. just figured up how much this will cost. made a couplespreadsheets with the different venders. looks like EGGE, CARS, BOBs,Rockauto are my choices. researched what parts from where was going to be best aftershipping. I’ve ordered from all theseguys before and never been let down. I’mdown to just EGGE and CARS for availability and price. Over $700 to just ring,bearing, and timing chain. Man, I mustlove the Straight Eight.

Back