364 G4 Carb

Ok here is what I have. I took my G4 carb down to have it rebuilt. The guy at the shop told me that I should have a thin metal plate between the carb and the intake manifold to cover the exhaust port between the carb and manifold. He said that it was to warm the carb and that the carb would not run right if it was missing. I don’t have the plate but I can make one if I had to. Is this right? The gasket has the hole in it for the port and I don’t have another without the hole for it, so that tells me that you don’t need the plate.

Jim, does the intake manifold have the holes for exhaust under the carb??? Does your carb. have a cast iron or aluminum base plate??? Cast iron you DON'T need one. Aluminum you DO need one. What is a G4 carb????

Thanks for the replies. To answer the questions the carb does have a grove for the exhaust in it. Carb has cast iron base plate. A 4G carb is the OEM Rochester carb that was installed at the factory on the motor. Sorry for the confusion of the G4

Last edited:
58 Carb.

Tom thanks for the info. I put the carb on and I’m still having a problem. The driver side mixture screw is not working can’t adjust the fuel mixture. Any info would be helpful on this.

Back