401 Nailhead pros & cons

39 Century

I'm not real familiar with the 401 engines, however I have the oportunity of purchasing a low mileage 1965 401 out of an Electra 225.
I'm entertaining the idea of replacing my straight 8 with the 401 in my 39 Buick.
I'm not at this time seeking all the particulars of rear end swap, open drive shaft etc etc, however I would like those of you familiar with the 401 engines to give me your honest opinions, the pros and cons of the 401 engine itself.

I've got to admit that I bought a '63 Buick Rivi with a 401 Nailhead. My first thought was about how I could get a Buick 455 into the engine bay. After the deal for the 455 fell through, I started to wrench on the 401. On the plus side, you can tear this engine down to a long block in about 2 hours. You can replace the oil pan gasket ( or main bearings, or oil pump, if you must) with the engine in the car. The bad side, parts are becoming scarce. If you walk into Pep-boys looking for a part for a Nailhead, they will think you're a nut. The part stores with the info are often wrong. I have found this out the hard way about water pump gaskets, thermostat housing gaskets, thermostats, fan belts, etc. You must have patience and be devoted to the Nailhead. The bigget positive is that a poweder-coated nailhead will look alot cooler than any "Made in china" chrome plated Chebby. That's my two cents.

Back