'56 Roadmaster front and rear window stainless trim removal

Can someone point me in the right direction for removing the stainless trim from around the front and rear glass of a '56 RoadMaster? The front leaks and the glass needs replaced. The rear is missing some clips and or has broken ones so the side pieces are sticking straight up and out. I just don't know what this clip looks like so I do not know what to pry up or unscrew or whatever. I spoke with a guy at a car show who told me that they screw all the way through and that I will need to remove the interior window trim to get to them.... just want some more concrete advice... any help would be greatly appreciated... thanks

The following information is for my 1955 but should be the same.

On the front trim start by removing the 2 screws that hold the side panels on, then gently pry them up and out to remove. There is a trim clip located under the panels with one screw holding it on. After removing the screw the rest of the clips are standard windshield clips and are released using a hook type windshield clip tool. The center clip is bolted down so the trim needs to be pulled to the outside to remove it then the clip can be unbolted from under the screen area.

The rear side trim parts are held on by 2 clips that have nuts located under the rubber trim inside the car then the rest of the clips are standard windshield clips that use the hooked tool.

'56 Roadmaster trim clips

Mr. Carmichael: Would you have a good source for the studded clips for the rear side pieces? I was able to get to mine, but are seriously rusted and not salvageable (they broke in half).

Thanks
David

Does anyone have a good source for the studded clips for the side pieces of trim for the rear glass on a '56 Roadmaster?

I called the guys at CARS. They said "look through group 17 under Buicks 1936-61 and the best we can offer is to compare the ones you took off your car to the images of the ones in that group.. other than that, we can't help." So I sent them pictures of the ones I took off the car to see if they could offer any advice as far as finding something that would work... they just said "We have nothing like that.. sorry". I can't imagine these are that hard to find... I just don't know the exact name for them to search them out....

Butch

Thanks for the link. That is the section that the guys at CARS sent me to. None of those clips look anything like what I pulled off the car... or even that they would work for this application. I still can't believe they are this hard to come by.

Can someone point me in the right direction for removing the stainless trim from around the front and rear glass of a '56 RoadMaster? The front leaks and the glass needs replaced. The rear bushwacker fender flares is missing some clips and or has broken ones so the side pieces are sticking straight up and out. I just don't know what this clip looks like so I do not know what to pry up or unscrew or whatever. I spoke with a guy at a car show who told me that they screw all the way through and that I will need to remove the interior window trim to get to them.... just want some more concrete advice... any help would be greatly appreciated... thanks

To remove the trim, I am using the rear gun so that I can easily remove the trim. Try it and it is fast and it is easier to remove the trim. :D:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back