56 Roadmaster Headlight Switch

Fitysix

Ok Guys.....Where can I find a headlight Switch for a 56' Roadmaster?
I've been lookin' but can't seem to find anything and I figured if anybody would know it is you guys.
Thanks in advance for your time!
Fitysix

I think a company called AIRTEX makes aftermarket replacement switches...just rebuilt the same switch off a '52 because the aftermarket ones I found don't have a map light position. Don't know how a '56 switch works but mine was in for off, 1/2 way out for parking lights, all the way out for headlights plus one click to the right for map light, next click was instrument lights, then keep turning right to dim the instrument lights.

I have a '56 Century. If I'm correct the headlight switches are the same. If you need one I have a used one.

Tom T.

Thanks for the replies guys. Krinkov58, I couldn't find anything under AIETEX...do you have a part#? Tom, Is it a good known switch? Mine works for everything except for dash lights. If it is good how much do you want for it?
Thanks again guys Love this place.
Dale
aka Fitysix

Lots of times Dale the contacts just need to be taken apart & cleaned. When you remove the switch you will see a rheostat. Make sure the little metal tang with the point on it is touching the wire filament. Use some very light abrasive to clean the wire filament & contact point. Put a little di-electric grease on it & give it a try. The filaments don't normally break unless they got corroded because of moisture. In which case they will be a green color. Give this a try 1st. before I take the switch out of the '56 I have.

Tom T.

Tom,
I took it apart...I love the sound of little springs bouncing around......cleaned the contacts. Looks as tho someone had already tried to repair the rheostat. Still no work! Headlights and running lights etc are good ....just no dash lights still. I may attempt to undo the globbed on solder fix and fix it correctly ( I have access to a mighty fine soldering station). I will keep you posted. Thanks again everyone for your time.
Dale
aka Fitysix

Back