58 364 Nailhead Valve covers

Hi I need some Help with the 364 Nail head valve covers

Where can you get the OEM seals that go into the holes for the hold down bolts I did use the flat seal that came with my cork set and it looked like they would not seal 100%. I don't want to end up with oil all over the motor. The covers look straight and not out of shape but I did see a little gap between the seal and head of the motor on one. I could put a little gasket sealer around the head to stop any oil from leaking out.

I would like to get this done and drive the car a little befor I have to put it away for the winter I have been working on it & now I am at the point that I could drive it a little but I live in the north and soon it will get cold

Last edited:
bolt seals

the flat rubber washers that come with the gaskets work ok. you can buy the correct ones on the internet like Bob's, Kanter auto. Terrill machine
hope this helps

Heck, just go to the local hardware store and pick up some rubber washers from the plumbing section!

Thanks for the reply’s. I did go to the two websites mentioned and no luck, as for the plumbing supply I have flat washers but when you put the bolts through the wire bridge they leak from under them. I did not want to start putting silicon on everything to seal it. I am a big fan of doing the job right the first time so if I can get the OEM style seals it would make live a little easier after all that’s how Buick made it. If anyone can help please let me know even if you have an Idea what I could use. I did go and get some seals that were close to the OEM but they are a little thick on top and the screws would not be long enough. I know I could get longer screws but I would like to see about the OEM style seals.
Thanks Again :shield:

I have the CORRECT seals you are looking for. The valve & valley cover bolts. $1.00 ea. + shipping. I will put them in a padded USPS envelope.

Tom T.

Tom can you send me a photo I would like to make sure. I have had other people tell me they had the correct seals and they sent me something that I don't know what it went to thank you

I don't have a camera. If you don't like them send them back for a refund. At $1.00 ea. is that soo much $$$$$??????

Tom says "I you need it, I can get it." Those of us who know him say "If you can't trust what he tells you, who can you trust?"

Ed

Tom, the bonded washers arrived today not exactly what I was looking for but would work better then the flat rubber washers they give you with the gaskets. Still looking for the OEM type seals. I am thinking about making them if I can’t find them. Thanks again for the help.:thumbsup:

Jim, the hard paper gaskets, as far as I know, cannot be sourced anywhere. In reality they didn't do that good of a job anyways. I think what I sent, which is what I have been using for years & actually DO seal, will be the best thing you can find & seal better to boot. You could try a copper type seal as found with brake hoses of the same ID. You would have to make them "dead soft" so they will crush & hope they seal. If, in the end you are not happy with them or won't use them send them back & I'll refund your $$$$$.

Tom T.

Tom the seals would work fine and I will try them as for the OEM seals they are rubber and look more of a tee shape when viewed from the side. Thanks for the help.
Jim

Tom I don’t have one that is whole but I made a drawing of one with measurements. The seal could be longer and the flange could be a little thicker but this was made of rubber and I have seen them in photos on the valve covers of other nailheads motors that I found on the web.

The OD of the stem is 1/2"

Last edited:
Jim, that is NOT an original seal. It was made from a hard piece of paper like material. Even way back when I don't EVER recall seeing any of the hard paper gaskets in ANY of the engine or valve grind gasket sets even from Buick.

Tom T.

Tom: I will take your word for it. I have never seen a paper seal around a screw on valve covers, only seen paper seals around fuel systems. I will go and use the washers you sent me. Like I said I have seen what looked to be the same seal in photos of motors on the Net. I would love to see one of the OEM paper seals up close. The only thing that confuses me is that if the bolt is 5/16 and the hole is 1/2 the seal that was in my valve covers and valley pan would seem to be proper for the application. Thanks again for your input. I know I need to learn a lot more about this motor. I want to get the motor fired up again before I have to put her away for the winter.

Valve cover "T" style screw grommets

Thanks to all for the reply’s. I called some people that said the grommets I was looking for are sold by Cars (www.oldbuickparts.com) under the number VCG572-1 valve cover screw grommet. So I ordered 6 of them just for the fun of it, and they were the ones that I had in the valve covers and the lifter cover. I just thought I would pass this along.

Last edited:
Back