60's Voltage Regulator Bypass

61special

I'm trying to get this old 61 Special out of the garage. Engine turns over just fine. No spark with new coil, wires, and plugs, so I've pulled out the alternator, which works intermittently, but not strong. Advance auto has no listing for replacement alternator of 61 special, but they do for a 63 special. This is the same 215ci V8 engine. This new alternator has an inbulit voltage regulator.

They suggested that I bypass the original voltage regulator (which apparently goes bad quite easily, according to this guy???) and use the new much shorter and lighter alternator with a new inbuilt regulator. Sounds good to me considering a new regulator is $45, and this whole new rebuilt alternator is $28 with the inbuilt regulator.

Has anyone tried this, or does someone think it's a good idea??

Next thing, how is it done??

Does anyone know if it's ok to use a more modern alternator??

It'll be this coming weekend before i see the car again.

Thanks.

First, a 1963 Alternator does NOT have an internal regulator. That came out in '72 or '73. Be very sure what you are getting.

To change over to an alternator with internal voltage regulator, check here....

http://www.buicks.net/techref/ftecref14.html

As I believe the '61 Special had a GENERATOR, this page may not help you. But then again, it may. I don't recall if the generator regulator could be jumped the same way. Maybe on of the others that have changed an early system over will chime in here.

If after replacing all those ignition parts, you do not have spark, DO NOT blame the generator. Your car should not have an alternator unless some one has changed it. As stated in another post, you do not even need this unit ( which ever it is) to start your engine. Pull a spark plug, hook up the wire and ground the plug to the engine. If you get a spark when you turn it over, then the next step is to see about fuel. Pour a little in the carb and see if it fires.If it back fires or belches flame, check the firing order If that doesn't work the next thing is to check the timimg.Do NOT worry about the charging system until you have the engine running.

Back