64 Electra Engine ID

R

rpped

I own a 64 Electra 225 model #4839 4dr pillar-less hardtop.
I am trying to ID the engine. It's stamped "457" and VIN # 8KI147538. VIN’s do match.
I have been unable to find a match for #457 and an engine size.
The original owner (whom I purchased the car) said he special ordered it.
Any help?

go to my tech site at http://www.ironhunter.net/Tech/nailhead_production_codes.html and there is everything on the tech pages you need to ID that engine. Regardless of what he told you about special ordering, that car will have a 401(standard), or optional 425(1-4bbl), or Super Wildcat (425-2x4bbl). If he "special ordered" anything, it was one of the 2 latter engines. The code you need is the letter code, stamped UPSIDE DOWN on the left side looking in at the block from the front of the car. Its there on all Nailheads. If the engine left the factory in a BUick car, the VIN of that car will be stamped to the right. The engine that you have is a 64, evident from the K in the VIN. The other parts of the VIN I cannot tell you because I am at work and my unposted info is at home. Email me if you need any other info. As far as I know, I have about every piece of factory and aftermarket literature printed on the 64 Buick.
ray

Back