66 Buick/OMC ignition problem

G

Gonzo

I have hit a wall on this. Picked up a 1966 Penn Yan Sportfisherman, by accident, came with a trailer I bought. Anyhow, the boats in great shape, got it home and had it running within a 1/2 hour, the previous owner, now deseased, really took care of this fine vessel. Anyhow the next day I come out and she no start! I trace it down to an ignition problem. Here is where it gets weird. Good spark going into the distributor from coil, good blue spark at points, no spark coming out of cap to the plugs. Fine, gotta be a bad rotor or cap. Replace them, still nothing. I'm stumped.

Its a 66 Buick/OMC 6 cylinder.

Any help appreciated!
Thanks,

TS
Feel free to email me direct!

Gonzo,
I am not familiar with that particular boat, but I can find out more if you send some details. One thing I can think of is the ignition interupt circuit IF it is an Inboard / Outboard setup. Usually though, if the interupt is not adjusted correctly, it will not get any spark at all.
Dont discount the possibility of bad plug wirs and plugs even though it would be strange for all of them to fail at one time.
If you reply here, do me a favor and send me an e-mail copy also as I dont have time to check the forums more than once a day.
Hope this helps,

If you have fire going into the cap from the coil, and it does not go to the wires, it almost has to be either the cap or the rotor. I have purchased "new " parts that were bad, and would recheck these two pieces first. The only other possibility is the rotor is not turning. :(

Back