67 GS400 Holley Carb Jetting

Shakadula51

I won't go into why I am running a Holley but it is what it is. I have a heavy gas smell all the time and at startup I have black smoke out of the exhaust actually staining my driveway with soot. It seemed to occur around the time I put the holley on I think. Anyway the carb is currently jetted at .062.

A mechanic (is in the car repair business and around 60 years old) told me to jet it down to .032 or .030. When I tried to order the jet kit from holley, the guy would not send it to me telling me I got bad information.

Can you all help. My rochester carb was jetted at .071 i think.

I don't know anything, but you can not relate the jetting between the Holley and the Rochester.

because your complaint is at start up and shortly after, I would look closely at the choke. It could be set too rich, and may not be coming off quickly enough.

My understanding, belief is that, simply put, carburetors all come jetted for a slightly rich air flow to be safe. I think the number was 14:1 or something. You should not make a huge change like the one suggested. If I was to change it, I would only go one or two sizes. This is assuming that the jets in the carburetor are the ones supplied by Holley when it was new. There are manuals where you can look up the carb number and they will tell you what was in it.

While I don't run a Holley on my GS400, because it won't fit under the air cleaner, I would if I could:)

Back