Better Torsiondamper for a 263

Jenz38

Hi Everybody (its so quiet here..)
My Crank is at the moment to balancing and the Guy told me
that the original Damper is not so good.
Have anybody of you replaced the old one for a better one ,Fluiddamper SBC, or something like that ?
Any Ideas ? Or have we here an older Post about this Theme,where i can read this ?

Thanks ahead for helping

Jenz,
I believe there was an old post in the "What's new with hot rodders" subject. I believe Gary Hart used a fluidamper type balancer with an "Olds" hub. Required little or no modification. I'm sure somebody else can find it on here.
Doug

Thanks Doug,
I will search there.
Another option, that i've heard from Nali, is on Jyrkis Site.
I will check it all out.
I will also look out for a stockpart from a MAN-,Deutz-VW-,BMW-Diesel or somthing like that..

Thank you

I used an ATI Super Damper with an Olds 455 hub. Also, Gerry Duttweiler told me on the phone that Chevy LS-style dampers can be fitted relatively easy.

I'd think a rebuildable damper/balancer wouldn't be hard too find on eBay...I'm not sure if using one designed for a different engine/crank is the best choice, especially one with such different harmonics involved. I'm just thinking that the guys at Buicks might have had their thinking caps on and did the research when they designed their dampers...and a V8 crank at 4000rpm and a 263 crank at 4000rpm may not share the same vibration to be compensated for. Then again I might be way off. I don't know how specific a science it is but I'd think about something custom if you have the money (and not many of us do these days!).

I'm kind of curious because I have to put an extra pulley on mine, it's a '52 320 balancer already with the extra outside pulley for the power steering and it has a few less plates than a regular 320 balancer (I'm assuming because of the weight of the extra pulley). I'm wondering if I should remove more plates in proportion to the weight of the new pulley, or am I just way overthinking things?

Thank you Guys
Jyrki,
i have a friend here in my Town ,he fixed Dragracingengines, told me the same with the ATI-Part.
I will look for it.
And what is it for an Chevy LS-Damper?? it sounds interesting (I like Gerry Duttweiler-tuning..)

Nali,
Yes......the world is small :wavey:

Krinkow
Yes, money is hard to get with legal Work (i have learned the wrong Job,i had learnd politician)
I hope after your Tornadoproblem now all is ok,again ?

I have alot Money pressed this Winter in the "NEW" 263

Complete Motor-Gearcombo+shipping from the US,
The new Flywheel for Dynaflowcrank with Jeeppressureplateboltcircle,Pilotbearingadapter,
Machining the Block,incl.Cyl.-boreout to 84 mm,for the new Pistons(from a old BMW 316 ),
Parts from Bob,
Now i hope i have no Surprises with the whole assembling(especially the Clutchcombo).
I put the Stockhead this year on the Block and make 1 Season Testdrive as it is.
For this Winter its enough Money :clonk:

Next Winter i will fix the Head with bigger Valves with smaller Stems(all from a Deutz Diesel,i haved buyed it and i still have it in my Storage).
Milling the Head so much as possible and of course porting ,....but thats next Winter.

I wish you all a nice Season,no accidents and always enough Gas in the Tank.

(Here starts the Spring now in big Steps and I "WILL" start the Engine. )

Last edited:
Jenz,

Yes the storm problems are over, buying new house up north this summer. Starting to work on the Buick, need to find a good machinist in the area. Cleaning a LOT of mud out of my Roadmaster, crating up my spare engine to move with me.

Jyrki,
you told that the Chevy LS-Damper fit also,what means "LS"??
Lane Six or what?
Thanks ahead

Jyrki,
you told that the Chevy LS-Damper fit also,what means "LS"??
Lane Six or what?
Thanks ahead

"LS" means the latest generation of GM small-blocks: LS1, LS6, LS7, LS2, LS3, etc.
I suspect the dampers differ within the LS engine family, but I really don't have more information about it.

Back