carter carb on 67' 340 infos

gag67sky

Hi all, little time since I haven't been asking silly questions 'cause I received my holly shop manual (cd) and it's full filled with answers I need !!!
Despite this I found A question with no answer in the book: My carter carb ref 4331S is the right one for my 340 / auto trans set, but it's bolted on the intake manifold through an alloy spacer of about 3 centimeters high. I think it's useless as bolts paterns seem the same up the carb and down the intake.
My intake cast number is B1379758E CM (GM?) , in the ref it looks like a 4bbl as it should be.
So here's the question: Can I remove this spacer ???
The only problem I can figure is that the throttle body linkages and levers may hit the intake???
Thanks any for giving some knowledge !!!!
Also proud to know thanks to the book that I have a 340/4bbl carter/ST300/rear POSI setting, it sounds like a 340GS set, no ?? Let me know...

The spacer is an attempt to raise the performance curve of the manifold about 1000 rpm. It is aftermarket.

Yes, you can remove the spacer.:thumbsup:

Hi Bob and Hi all, can anyone tell me how this spacer can increase perfs? By fastening airflow or something?? Secondary question I'm wondering were I should connect the + and - wires of my spare tach to read the engine RPM as I can't read a believable number:clonk:.... Thanks!

The spacer brings the carb. higher to help bleed off some engine heat. The cooler the fuel, to a certain extent, the more POWER!!!! It also, sometimes, brings up the HP to a slightly higher level. In your case, probably, about 200 RPM's. The + side goes to the coils neg. side to the points. The Negative side goes to a good ground.

Thanks Telriv for your experience, didn't think about the temp insulation of course.... Will try this week-end to read my real engine RPM at last and then I'll be able to tune up the electrical choke and the idle for the best !!! Thanks again !

Back