Chevy 3.8 and Buick 4.1 part swapability questions

C

Chris_G

Basically, I have a Chevy 229/3.8 and access to a non-running (but can turn the crank) 1985 even fire Buick 252/4.1. I would like to use various parts off the 4.1 in/on the 3.8 block to make the 3.8 a higher HP and torque motor. BUT, I have NO idea what parts interchange. SOOO, here are my more major questions:

1) Does anyone know the head differences between the two motors? Will they interchange? If they will not interchange, will the the valves interchange? If so, what are the differences? IE. Will changing the 3.8 valves with the 4.1 valves give me bigger valves or not? Or vice versa if they heads are interchangeable?

2) Is the camshaft interchangeable??

3) Which leads to, are the crankshafts interchangeable?? If they are, which rods, wrist pins, etc. should I use to get my desired results?

Let me know what you can when you can...THANKS!!!

Chris

Chris,
Basically...two completely different engines. Nothing will swap that I know of. The 229 Chevy is basically a V-8 Chevy with 2 cylinders cut off. The parts all all Chevy stuff, interchangable with a lot of Chevy V-8's. The 4.1 Buick is totally different.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

Original owner:
1971 Chevelle Heavy Chevy
1984 Buick Riviera

Back