Coil Springs For 47 Series 40

ailimac

I would like to replace my coil springs on my 1947 Buick Special Series 40 while I have the frame stripped down. Can anyone help me has to where I can find some, front and back. Can I interchange with other models or years? Is there some type of test I can perform on the old ones to see if I need to replace them, although I'm pretty sure they need replacing as I can bounce the frame by just pushing down on it (shocks are disconnected from frame). I did a brief internet search and really didn't find too much info regarding coil springs.
Thanks
Pete

It's normal for the springs to bounce when you have the shocks disconnected. To determine if your springs actually need replacement, you well need to find specs for either the stock ride height or spring free length. Springs for other cars can be substituted, but you will need specs for diameter, rate, and height at a given load. In other words, the free length on a replacement spring won't necessarily be the same as on your stock springs.

A good place to start would be to see if there are any spring shops in your area.

Ray

Springs and stuff

Greetings from Australia. I agree that without the shockies one can bounce the car up and down with one figure, even get the wheels off the ground with effort!
I bought new springs from Kanter Autos, cost more to get them to Australia than the unit price but there was little I could do about that.
They are in but the body is still off and the engine out so I can't say too much about them.
They were different lengths and coil numbers to the originals but I was assured after contacting Kanters that the steel was different to the original and the ride height and "springeeness" would be correct.
Hope so.

regards

Trackless

Back