converted to HEI

71NDBUICK

I converted my 1971 Buick 350 over to an HEI distributor. I have heard from some people that the resistance wire that supplied the points distributor shouldn't be hooked up to the new one. I am thinking they are right. I have it hooked up now, and I don't think that I have the power that I should. If anyone knows what I should do, please share. I want my Buick power back!!

From the people I've spoken to about this subject, they say to bring a wire from the fusebox which is hot when the switch is on to get a true 12 volts to the HEI.

Hope this helps,

Yes, I believe you should have a full 12v when the key is in the on position. No resistance wire.

Be sure that the wire from the fuse box gets a true 12 volts when you turn the ignition switch on(when the started engages the flywheel). Some blocks in the fuse box will show 12 volts when you run the wire and turn the key on, but when the started acutally engages, the voltage can drop off below 12 volts causing the distributor to make spark.

Sorry, my spelling sucked. Should be STARTER and ACTUALLY and should also read CAUSE THE DISTRIBUTOR TO NOT MAKE ENOUGH SPARK. Need to get out my son's Hooked on Phonics books!

Back