Crank socket size?

I ordered a Comp Cams Buick/All/Ford socket, fit the I.D nicely but too short to reach key.
A. can anyone recommend the correct one for the Buick 215 crank
B. Are they safe for freeing engines? I was told correct way vs using crank end bolt

No I would not use the "crank end bolt" for freeing an engine. To easy to break the head of the bolt off---try getting that broken bolt out of there.

No I would not use the "crank end bolt" for freeing an engine. To easy to break the head of the bolt off---try getting that broken bolt out of there.
That's already occurred. :-( but will let the machinist deal with that. I was referring to the sockets that fit over the snout and has a slot for key. All the current ones available are too short. Regardless, I have gotten 3 of the pistons out. So far this engine is looking to be in very good shape, looking like it may have came from a wrecked 62' Special as I see no signs of damage or abuse.

Educate me, why not take the engine apart? If its frozen it's going to need a rebuild anyway. Once the crank is out, soak the rings and gently tap the pistons until they come loose, or break them up if they are truly stuck. Am I wrong?

Educate me, why not take the engine apart? If its frozen it's going to need a rebuild anyway. Once the crank is out, soak the rings and gently tap the pistons until they come loose, or break them up if they are truly stuck. Am I wrong?
It is apart, and has been soaked for a few months. I have 5 pistons out, the other con rod bolts are in towards the block, inaccessible. Mains are out, still barely budging.

Cutting the last con rods out to free pistons/crank. Shame because the internals look good but this sucker has fought hard.

New pistons, con rods and at least two liners

Back